Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Farmoor 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: UFO's Reply with quote

Whatever Doug a good day on the naturals is priceless for those of us who live for it.Surprised not more hawthorns there.Have had some memorable days when trout were on the hawthorns but nowhere near as many as I would like Laughing.

Best. JP
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked an afternoon boat on F2 - the pointy end was free and a pm to Allrounder elicited a positive response. We mustered at 1pm and set sail shortly thereafter. Wind was light from the West and quite warm. We motored across to pick up some ripple and surprisingly hardly saw a fin nor any fly life. We set a free drift but the wind kept dying but picked up from time to time. We both fished nymphs and before long all tightened up and my 1st fish was on the black buzzer point fly. My words to Alan as we set sail about how my hookup rate with barbless flies (mandatory on Farmoor with sporting ticket) was good came home to roost as the fish slipped the hook after a feisty fight. The first of 3 Sad

Strangely the fish started to show but only in the ripple, as soon as the wind died the fish went down. I had had dreams of fishing the Bob fly and to that end brought down from the loft my 11'3" # 6 Sage. Back in the day it was the rod to own. I soon realised why it had been consigned to a life gathering dust as it proved very unwieldy in the conditions. We both fished dries for most of the afternoon - me on a series of Bob's and Hoppers whilst Alan fished a Fiery Brown Klinkhammer . That was certainly the fly to fish and Alan wiped my eye by a factor of at least 3. I ended the day with 2 in the net whilst Alan netted about 6 with quite a few long distant c&r and boils to his flies.

The wind suddenly went through 180 degrees to come from the East with a considerable drop in temperature. One would have thought that would have put paid to any action but if anything more fish were showing along the ripple lines although proving hard to tempt. I am pretty sure they were feeding on Daphnia as they seemed very preoccupied and studiously ignored my offerings whatever size or colour. The rain set in and we blew the whistle at 7pm.

Water quality was very poor with considerable staining and only about 3 or 4ft visibility. There was some algae but this looked more like fine suspended matter such as you would get after a big blow - perhaps they were pumping from the Thames?

Notwithstanding a good afternoon in good company Smile Cool

Some other forumites were afloat who will no doubt report in due course but when we spoke early afternoon things appeared tough so hoping they ended up amongst them.

Cheers

Doug
Liked by: lakefisher, Allrounder, blondie, Fryfishing
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
We both fished dries for most of the afternoon - me on a series of Bob's and Hoppers whilst Alan fished a Fiery Brown Klinkhammer . That was certainly the fly to fish and Alan wiped my eye by a factor of at least 3. I ended the day with 2 in the net whilst Alan netted about 6 with quite a few long distant c&r and boils to his flies.

Great report, Doug. Very Happy

It was purely down to luck that a large orange/ginger Buzzer hatched close to the boat as I was selecting my flies so I decided to put the only one I had in my box on the point with a fiery brown Bits on the dropper. I wasn't expecting much from it to be honest as most of the fly life coming off was very small and green, but despite going through every colour variation of Bits and Shipmans in my box, they only wanted the Ginger Klink. When the last fish finally destroyed it I tried a black Klink but that was more or less it for me. Sad

It was just a shame that the rain came and the wind picked up and I wish it had stayed 20 miles further East for a few more hours. I quickly left the rain behind on the way home and by the time I reached the M5 the ground was dry and there was a lovely sunset over Bristol. Rolling Eyes

Thanks to Doug for the invite and great company and also to JCP for putting me on to Gigafish Ultra mono leader. I was very, very impressed with it and it will be my 'go to' leader for dry fly work from now on . Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: blondie, lakefisher, tenet, Fryfishing
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Farmoor Thursday Reply with quote

Deleted post

Last edited by JCP on Fri May 19, 2017 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Farmoor Thursday Reply with quote

Well we started off like a house on fire or Ray did on his new Hover line.He had three to the boat and lost one in I was going to say short order but there is no such thing with these fish.I said to him if you want to catch some more best hurry along Very Happy .It was good as takes the pressure off me as Raymond wilts under pressure even when there is none. Laughing I was fishing a deep straight line nymph rig with glues and took a couple fishing this way and had a host of tentative takes and one which ripped the line from my fingers when not concentrating.There was no real life on the water and fish had like a green gel in them.Water conditions were very poor.We then had a period with no takers and the doubts began to set in.Conditions looked idyllic and the odd fish moved but in my mind I knew this water was not good for fishing.I banked on some pm movement which often happens on Farmoor.We passed the time of day with Doug and his guest for the day.I thought looked familiar but had no real idea it was the infamous BW ''the dark sider'' Laughing By now we were both fishing surface type rigs to moving fish and I took one after missing a hat full of plucks on the washing line.Fish did not seem to want nymphs static as often a follow and a stop would result in no further interest even on the best crunchers.This was the story of our day until the weather suddenly and unexpectedly turned and the wind veered right around and was cool.We headed for the Marina shore to get under it or on the edge of the ripple.Unfortunately the water here was even worse and actually blue around the tower.We did continue on near to the causeway but with no real conviction and I did wonder about the kids windsurfing in that blue water as Farmoor is not the Caribbean.Still fish moving in the ripple but only the odd follow and then nothing.As another storm approached we called it a day and headed in.Seems like a good move given the weather on our way back along the A34.Will put this one down to experience.Did not think of trying dries although Ray did have a flutter near close of play more out of desperation than intent I think.The morning was glorious and just goes to show how conditions can change during one day.Ray talked to a chap from Swansea who had taken his fish on a ghost tip line.He had planned for two days but was heading back due to the water conditions.Guess it had to happen sometime.It is like the ''Maywater'' off the coast when it goes the like the Ganges and the fishing suffers.Until the next time.Not to long I hope as had some special days in June 2016.

Best. JP
Liked by: Allrounder, tenet, Fryfishing
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Farmoor Thursday Reply with quote

Wish I had remembered how good the Gigafish is.The times I was going to set up my other rod yesterday and did not plus something I should have written down from 2016 similar time.Great stuff Alan glad you enjoyed it and hope the fish lived up to the hype.Ours certainly did.

Best. JP
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand by and see Alan's reputation impugned - he did fish a Humongous on a di5 for a short period of time Shock Shamed by my withering looks he quickly reverted to proper fishing. Smile Very Happy Smile
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
I can't stand by and see Alan's reputation impugned - he did fish a Humongous on a di5 for a short period of time Shock Shamed by my withering looks he quickly reverted to proper fishing. Smile Very Happy Smile

Its a fair cop Doug, not that it did me any good. I don't think they could see my orange blobs for all the green blobs of algae suspended in the water.Embarassed Laughing

However you forgot to mention that my first fish was on a BLACK BOOBY on the point of a washing line rig! I think it was your withering looks after I confessed that prompted me to change to the dries. Laughing

We also saw a boat doing a bit of crafty back drifting ... and it wasn't us! Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Back drifting Reply with quote

Point taken but I'll have you know it is a deadly way of taking Farmoor Trout especially when those nymphs head for the surface from the depths on the swing. :shock:and more especially when you are stumped and not sure what to do next or your boat partner Question Question Question .There is much more to this than meets the eye.A few years on me now and I get tired :)When drifting without a drogue you need to manage the boat and sometimes I just give up Wink . Was revelation recently when sharing a day with one of the Mendips magic circle.All I had to do was the engine and fish.No drogue to worry about and not much paddling to straighten up the boat.Was a tough day yesterday.Had a job to get out of the car when I reached home.Think I need to start fishing pensioners hours or take a break like sensible folks do Idea So when you see my boat doing a ''Marie Celeste'' in future you will know what is going on Laughing

Best. JP
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said it before and will say it again Alan is a purist with his dry fly boobies Very Happy
At least he has retired the plus fours and deer stalker.
Good to hear you wet another line or two on Farmoor Alan.
Ff
Appleman
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Chew still quaking from last weeks International I had a chat with Tony Donnelly and we quickly decided Farmoor 1 would be the venue to service our pent up Dry Fly urges. We were not disappointed!

We met up at 9:20, paid up and got afloat....I took a look at the conditions and didn't really feel dries were the way so set up a floater, nymphs WL and prospected for a while. First drift saw three hit the net with Tony picking up one on the dries and moving another couple. Not much in it in terms of approach / methods.

A small patch of cloud came in which prompted me to stick the dries on and off we went. Action was steady, not electric in the changing conditions but a good craic nevertheless. As the cloud built late on, sport just got better and better with fish coming off the top thick and fast.

Top patterns were fiery brown Midas, claret bits, claret shipmans, and a brown foam daddy. As match anglers that only pull blobs 😂 44 to the boat wasn't a bad an effort!! 😉 What an amazing venue that never disappoints! All fish were silvered up brutes, big tails and mostly well into the slab category! Best went 5.5lb with lots over 3 and 4. Incredible fishing and a very memorable day afloat.
Liked by: tenet, mc07fly
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, appleman, when are you cider gobblers finally going to admit that Farmoor has got those BW waters thoroughly licked. You know they have, so just admit it. You know you want to. It just takes a bit of nerve to finally cough! Go on, do it, DO IT!
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report Tim and trust TD is well and prospering - he is sorely missed.

Living mid way between Chew and Farmoor I have the quandary of loyalty to 40 years of fishing BW or fishing Farmoor which has certainly captivated me these past 2 seasons. Aesthetically Chew and Blagdon win hands down but the lack of "top if the water " action these past few years has certainly diminished the appeal.

As for coughing I think it more of a cultural exchange showing the locals there is more than back drifting and fishing under bungs Smile

Cool
Appleman
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
So, appleman, when are you cider gobblers finally going to admit that Farmoor has got those BW waters thoroughly licked. You know they have, so just admit it. You know you want to. It just takes a bit of nerve to finally cough! Go on, do it, DO IT!

Easy....Farmoor is one of the best Stillwaters currently! Right price, right product and the right people! Simple....
Appleman
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Thanks for the report Tim and trust TD is well and prospering - he is sorely missed.

Living mid way between Chew and Farmoor I have the quandary of loyalty to 40 years of fishing BW or fishing Farmoor which has certainly captivated me these past 2 seasons. Aesthetically Chew and Blagdon win hands down but the lack of "top if the water " action these past few years has certainly diminished the appeal.

As for coughing I think it more of a cultural exchange showing the locals there is more than back drifting and fishing under bungs Smile

Cool

'Cultural exchange!' Love it....!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: