Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

UK Lure Fishing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Forum -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the reason we pay more for braid
http://youtu.be/hEonHrgZAmM

The lure fishing has been a bit slow of late what with the club water being closed and the canal being slow and mucky.
I am looking forward to some LMB fishing in New England but have been thrown a curve ball being told about the excellent fly fishing for trout there.
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16th May and the lure fishing starts at Pitsford. I had a boat booked Very Happy and turned up at around 9am to find I was the last boat out.
Some of the big names from the UK lure world were there ( plus me Very Happy) and every boat had been booked through to the weekend.
For those who do not know this reservoir it is split into two, access to the larger half is through the tunnel, the first half was more sheltered and it seemed that most of the anglers chose to fish here. I on the other hand ventured through the tunnel into the teeth of the wind that was blowing the whole length of the reservoir, chugged up about half way, threw out the drogue and started fishing. It was blooming hard work due to the speed of the drift and lack of line control. I gave up the thought of catching my new personal best perch and set about catching some thing. On went the ABU Atom and a Mepps No 3 on the other rod, that did the trick the pike were at the end of the drifts in shallow water and they took on both lures, I also had a very nice 3lb plus brown from the shallows.
At around four the rain started and the wind continued to blow, I gave up at around five but to be honest it was a silly decision as the rain stopped and the wind dropped as I unloaded the boat.
The stories on the boat ramp were that the odd big perch had been caught along with pike, I was quite pleased with my effort of two good pike four trout and a probable 6lb plus trout that hit the Atom tore off, lept out of the water and threw the lure rather contemptuously.
Ff

Last edited by Fryfishing on Wed May 17, 2017 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: Allrounder, fossil-fish
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you meant the 16th May, Peter! Laughing

Great report and whatever one may think, fishing with artificial lures as well as flies is probably the direction of travel for many of our larger reservoirs. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan you are right on both accounts.
Catching trout on shinny spoons and spinners is not as easy as people think, and landing them once they are on is even harder.
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fantastic day out. Well done.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am back from my USA trip chasing LMB, trout and others. It was great fun traveling around Massachusetts, New England and Vermont the only down side was for several days the wind and rain put pay to fishing. Far to dangerous to venture out on a big water in a kayak.

The Bass Pro Shop never stops amazing me, the one near Boston (Foxbourgh) is just stunning with everything Hunting and fishing any one could need.
I made quite a few purchase there for my lure rod and fly campaigns which were to follow plus a few to bring back for the UK.

There were some firsts recorded on this trip but unfortunately not a LMB on the fly, but I did have some clonking great Blue Gill and Perch on the fly rod.
The Bass could prove finicky as you could see them in the clear water of some of the lakes, they would approach the lure, following but not taking them.
There were a couple of bumper days of Bass, 20 on one day and 30 on another, including the odd one up to three pound, imagine and day perch fishing like that Very Happy

On one lake my soft plastics were followed in by shoals of small perch nipping at the lures tail, so for a bit of fun I made up a makeshift drop shot and tied on a Wollybugger size 12 long shank and started to catch them.

i will upload some pictures once they have been down loaded.

Off for a snooze to get over the jet lag.
Ff
Liked by: tenet, lakefisher
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures from the trip.
The first shows just how big a bait a small LMB can swallow, second is a small perch on a six inch worm and the last is the average size LMB I was catching.
The final one shows some hatched dragonflies caught out by a shower.

Last edited by Fryfishing on Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: fossil-fish
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics, well done! I am about to do a large order with agm tackle for a load of soft plastics...I think I may end up with hundreds! So many different varieties and combos of hooks, and weighted hooks etc it's scary. Those senko worms will defo be on my list apparently they cast like a bullet too.

Cheers.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGM is addictive, more than once I set out to order a few bits and ended up with a load more than planned.
The long worms I was using in the States were the YUM brand and the short Zoom, my best results were when they were used weightless.
Bass Pro is even worse than AGM because the lures are all there in front of you Shock

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh it is quite on here, to hot to go fishing no doubt.

Well I thought I would do a quick update on buying some new, second hand kit from eBay and a fellow member of the LAS.
My Perch rod and reel has been changed to an ABU 4601 and a Revo, from EBay and best of all a GVR 62-2 baitcaster Xzoga.
To date I have had a few small Perch but the real test will come this Friday as I have a boat booked with a local member of the LAS on Pitsford.
The weather is due to change to overcast and cool.

Check out my ABU Revo rebuild video on YouTube https://youtu.be/Wlv_MNOxUpw.

I will also add some pics and a report on Pitsford later, fingers crossed for a monster Perch. Very Happy

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday 14th July saw us venturing out onto Pitsford for a day of predator fishing, after the hot spell it looked good, overcast and a good blow of wind.
It was a day of a thousand casts and for me nothing to show for it. Lloyd fishing at the front end had three jacks on a Savage Gear 3D Trout.
I am not sure if we were doing some thing wrong or it was a difficult day, there was only eight boats and two kayaks out during the day and we only saw one fish caught.
The Warden said the predator fishing had been good but the trout fishing was poor, there were also tails of several 30 lb + pike caught over the last few weeks.
The fish were apparently in the shallow water close to the weed beds. So we fished on the drogue and targeted the likely looking spots and covered a lot of water during the day.
I was fishing the methods I know work, the ABU Atom, large spinners and curly tails on jig heads ( with some extra jewellery Wink ).
I had a follow from a jack on a large curly tail and a few knocks during the day but I could not get a hook up, while Lloyd persevered with the 3D trout.
The Trout & Perch were nowhere to be seen although I could see evidence of them of the electronics.
We packed up at around seven and there were a few hardy souls still out there casting lures or flies, maybe they would have come on in the last two hours who knows.

Liked by: lakefisher
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd and I made the trip to Wierwood reservoir for an L.A.S meet/competition.
There was around 12 of us and we set out on the boats at 9 am with bright skies and a flat calm.
Things were not helped by the battery on my fish finder not holding charge and switching off at the start of the day so we fished blind but did follow other boats around that had working electronics plus using our skill and watercraft Very Happy
It was hard going as these things can be but by around 11am the wind picked up and things felt a bit more positive which was helped by a small pike taking an ABU Atom fished deep.
The local expert was there and fishing from his own boat so it was rather obvious from the start who was going to catch the most/biggest fish of the day.
It was a tough old day with only the one fish to the boat despite trying everything.
I did get third place, that was unexpected.
We will go again as it should fish well in the colder months and there are some big perch hiding in there.

Liked by: tenet, fossil-fish, lakefisher, springwell
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumours of 3 lb perch lurking in a club stretch of the river Colne has given me the incentive to concentrate with the lure rod, these big Perch have come out during matches.
Due to there being a lot of small jacks it is a gamble to fish with out a wire leader but last night I took the chance and fished a 12lb florocarbon leader to a barbless 2/0 jighead and shad.
There were a lot of knocks and pulls from the smaller fish but a few little fatties got caught. The big fish did not show but it is a very promising sign for the future.

Liked by: tenet, fossil-fish
tenet
1,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many many years ago (nigh on 60 I would guess) I fished the Colne at West Drayton. We used to get the 4.15am train from Acton Main line - cant imagine parents allowing their little 13yo snowflakes to do that today. Happy days indeed. Smile

Cheers

Doug
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes Doug, jumpers for goal posts Very Happy bent pin for a hook Laughing Mr Crabtree in the fishing bag Shock "look at its little red eye Peter" Very Happy
Happy days.
P
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Forum -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: