Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Montanajoe's Ramblings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: ogston 26 march Reply with quote

Warm sunny day with wind blowing into Church bay.
Started on a floater with montana and black / green tadpole. Hooked a fish almost straight away on the montana. Takes dried up a bit so moved around. I picked up another two nice stockies on the tadpole before deciding to change to a slow sinking line as the wind was blowing the floater too fast. Bingo, 5 fish followed pretty quickly all nice fish. Decided to move along the long bank for a try. Unfortunately after trying all the way along with no interest moved back where I picked up another 5, with 3 to a blob.
Fish were in excellent condition and of a decent size.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Thornton 9 April RVS Battletrout Reply with quote

Things didnít go to plan today. I was almost at Thornton when I got a call to head back home as there was a leak from the toilet cistern leaking onto our newly decorated utility room.
An about face and isolated the leak without having to shut off all the water in the house and I was back on my way. I arrived late and everyone had already started and I could see rods bending as I tackled up.
I set up 2 rods, one, Di3 with a tequila blob and cat booby and a floater with buzzers and a damsel on the point.
Local intel (Rich WK) said blobs and boobies were the way to go so I worked my way between the anchored boats around to the corner of the wood when I caught my first on the blob. Fished a little more without any interest (other rods were catching) so decided to replace the cat booby with a damsel. This proved to be good and I picked up another 4 on the damsel in this area which was now becoming congested. A paddle over towards the middle saw Paul whipping out fish after fish. Rich had a few on a biscuit booby and I kept catching the odd one on the damsel. Worked around the Stones bank where there were fish but they kept coming short. Worked into Green Bay where there appeared to be a head of fish. I kept getting tugs and plucks with no solid takes so decided to try the floater and just let it drift around. Bingo this was the method for this area. I picked up 5 in around 10 casts but it was soon time to head back so back to the Di3 to troll up the lake. Another couple followed on the journey home and I finished with 13 for the day. I should have tried the floater earlier but when you are picking up fish itís difficult to change.

Everyone else seemed to have had a good day with a lot of fish being caught. Paul and I finished with 13 each so we had a tie for the honour of the RVS Battletrout trophy.
A good chin wag and a few photos and it was time to head off home.

Looking forward to Elinor next and a chance to meet up with the lads again. Another great day out.

Iain
Liked by: Allrounder
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Carsington 15 April Reply with quote

Fished today with Chris Edwards. SW wind quite blustery at times. Tackled up with a Di3 with blob and tadpole and a floater with buzzers, with my infamous Big buzzer on the point.

Started off Tower bank with no joy so moved over to Fishtail and dropped anchor. I managed 3 on the blob before a switch to buzzers brought more fish, all to the BB. Sport slowed a bit so went down the North End but the anchor wouldnít hold anywhere. I managed one on a Diawl Bach. Moved over to the spit where again the anchor just dragged weed off the bottom. Chris managed 2 here on a blob. Moved to Shinningford where Chris managed another. At the back of the islands we couldnít do anything but Steve Tomlinson had 16 on a Di7 with small booby blobs. We swapped to Di7ís for the last hour but to no avail. Started great but the fish seemed to go deeper during the course of the day and we didnít adapt.
Great day out in good company. Whatís gonna beat this on a great water with hard fighting fish.
Liked by: Clayts, Allrounder
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: WOTR Ladybower Reply with quote

A fine day for fishing and great to meet up again with some familiar faces and lots of new ones as well. The fishing falls into second place on days like these.

I started well hooking a fish on a BPM early doors but couldnít really crack the code today. I started with a gold headed ILB but unusually no fish showed any interest in it today. They were high in the water and moving particularly when the wind dropped. Moved around to the dam wall where one on the Lancashire lads was cleaning up on a damsel. Me and SKB Rich tried various of our damsels, goldhead, booby and unweighted damsels without any joy. I managed to get a stupid fish on an ILB mop but that was a flash in the pan. I picked up another on an apps, but I did have limited success with the BPM and cormorants on a washing line. A few fish also came unstuck on this rig. The fish unusually only seem to be enticed by the smaller stuff today and nothing really succumbed to the dark side. Most people caught and it was a great day out with a smattering of big fish. I finished with 7 and the aforementioned Lancsy Lad finished with 22.
The end result was close but the Derbyshire teams consistency won the day even although the best bag and biggest fish (15 Ĺ) went to Lancashire.

Food and company were excellent and looking forward to next time out.

Iain
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Ogston 1 May Reply with quote

After venturing out on Friday evening amid a flat calm where I only managed 5 from D Bank on a Montana, all fish I covered.
On Monday, we had the DCAC event at Ogston open day. It was well attended and the weather held up nicely. Paul Sissons was giving casting lessons and Steve Newsome tied flies.
There was a friendly match in the morning but I decided to have a lie in. A few fish were caught in the morning session but it wasnít until 2pm that I decided to have a cast. I started on Napoleon bank and landed a fish on a Montana, again it was a fish that showed itself. I decided to wander along the long bank looking for moving fish as I decided that if I could see them I could catch them. A long slow walk stopping off at likely places proved fruitless as I never saw one fish in casting distance all the way down. No doubt there was fish there but they werenít showing. I made my way back up to where I started and picked up 3 fish to a Blop, all fish which were covered.
Ringing the changes, I managed another on a buzzer, Montana and a little cats whisker before calling it a day at 5.30.
All in all, a very pleasant day out but there was a distinct lack of fly life for the time of year, although there were hawthorns flying around.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Willington 6 May Reply with quote

Took the tube out for a swim at Willington today. Nice and cloudy with an easterly wind. Looked cold but when out on the water it was pleasant enough. Floating line with a BPM, small Kate and a blob to start. Fish were moving almost everywhere and I had 3 on the BPM before I had a leak on one side. Pumped up the bladder and for some obscure reason it never leaked again. Paddled around all over the lake and picked up another 10 almost all to the BPM with 2 to a montana. Tried lots of different flies on the point with little success. Then for some reason my net disappeared into the deeps so fished from the bank.
There were fish moving all around but I really struggled to get any takes before heading off home to hopefully collect my new SKB Ultra Max floating line which is being delivered by hand. Thatís what I call service.

A great dayís fishing for a 3 hours session.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report as usual Iain, although I'm not sure I would feel confident fishing in a tube with a leak! Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin
User is Online

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
Great report as usual Iain, although I'm not sure I would feel confident fishing in a tube with a leak! Laughing

Alan Wink

A Scotsman and his leaky bladder. He takes the pump out with him Al, even on Ladybower. No fear that man........ Very Happy

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: MTSFC Charity day - Yeavely Reply with quote

It was that time of year again and we had the pleasure of the kids from the Alfreton Park Special school at Yeavely trout fishery.
The weather was fine, and not too warm.
As casters, we were paired up with one pupil each. I had the pleasure of teaming up with Mathieu (or Chewy), a charming lad with Downs Syndrome. We eventually found a spot where we could fish and first cast we were into a little rainbow. Iíd cast the fly out and Chewy would retrieve the fly back at whatever speed I advised him of. He soon found a good rhythm and he hooked lot of fish, some of which we landed and some which didnít. He loved the thrill of the take and was disappointed when he lost a fish. The key was to continually change flies after a period of inactivity. We landed 6 fish and had lots of offers.
Lots of fish were caught all around and everyone seemed to be enjoying the occasion.
A break for lunch and a visit from Derbyshire Fire Service with a fire engine proved to be a big hit with the kids.
A great spread of food was prepared by the ladies and other helpers. There followed a short presentation where all the kids were presented with a framed certificate and medals were presented for various categories. Chewy was thrilled to win the medal for ďBest RetrieverĒ and all the kids seemed to be thrilled with their day out.
It is always a humbling experience for me to see how much you can affect one childís day when you are doing something you love and can impart some of that to change someoneís outlook on life if only for a short while.
I do admire the parents. teachers and assistants in dealing with these children and it make you realise how fortunate we are.
I am already looking forward to doing the same again next year and am only too willing to give up my time to help.
Liked by: lakefisher, Allrounder, Flybysage
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Ogston 16 May Reply with quote

Nice overcast evening so decided to wander out to Ogston for the last couple of hours. Arrived at 7.30 pm and the Napoleon Bank was deserted. The wind was blowing into and along this bank but it wasnít too strong. Started with a BPM, Cossack and blob on the point.
Odd fish were moving and it wasnít long before I had a fish on the blob of course. Sport was steady and the fish kept coming at regular intervals, mainly top the blob but a couple to the Cossack. I had 3 double hook ups but each time I lost the point fly as the fish donít half pull here. The fish were all of good quality around the 2 pound mark. I eventually gave up with losing fish and flies so went with a single blob slowly figure-eight retrieve on a floater.
This was more than good enough on the night and fish were starting to move regularly although they were difficult to spot in the ripple.
What a great couple of hours sport Ė 15 fit hard fighting rainbows in pristine condition.
At last Ogston is back on the agenda for a quick eveningís sport.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Willington Reply with quote

Took the tube out on Willington again. Weather was fine to start with, sunny with a steady SW breeze. A couple of bank anglers were finishing as I set up. They had seen fish but they were generally too far out. Armed with confidence I set up with two diawls and a blob on the point. Didnít get very far before fish number 1 nailed the blob. Worked round below the island and steadily picked up fish, almost exclusively to the blob. Put a yellow booby on the dropper and picked up a couple on that.
There appeared to be lots of fish in open water with few close in. Working the open water more and more fish followed, mostly to the blob. I decided to fish two blobs, a drab one and a bright one to see which would outfish the other. Just then the wind really started to blow hard and heavy rain really came down. This put the fish down for a short while. Then as the wind eased fish started to move everywhere and sport was fast and furious for a 10 minute spell. Both blobs catching well with a few takes which didnít connect. The rain eased and everything settled down again, so I decided it was time to pack up, besides nature was calling and I had to get ashore quickly.
Lost count of the number of fish but was certainly high teens with lots of interest. With the fish well out from the banks a tube or boat is certainly the best option on here at the moment. Remember your life jackets.
Liked by: Allrounder, Clayts
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Elinor Social Reply with quote

Elinor was suffering from a heatwave when I arrived Friday night with not a cloud in the sky. No fishing in the evening for me. A few beers and banter before an early start at first light. Tackled up with a floater and was greeted with moving fish in flat calm. Fish proving difficult to start with so put a CDC shuttlecock on the point and this proved successful, the only problem with these is that I seem to get lots of swirls with no takes. A change to an elk hair caddis added another couple. Fish were moving all over and I picked one up on a peach blob before stopping for a break. I tackled up with a Di6 and an orange snake and paddled up the lake to the pylon area. This definitely was interesting as the fish liked this. The only problem was actually hooking them. Tap, tap, big pull then nothing on the end. This went on for a while however at the top end I was pulling on loads of weed, so a swap to the intermediate. Similar story. Lots of offers but not many landed. I was having good fun when I decided to head back for lunch. I probably should have stayed at the top end as the wind got up in a big way making it impossible to consider going out again until really late on. A few beers were in order and John (Blankday) was in form with his tent which was being blown away by the wind. Food (or should I say meat) was provided to soak up the beers A few laughs before John retired for the night.
Another early start I headed towards the pylon where lots of fish were moving on top. Tried most things and was getting offers but no hook-ups. The snake was again popular but nothing would stick on at all. I must have had over 20 offers on a variety of flies without landing one fish. Then it was time for home.
A thoroughly enjoyable weekend with top company and good but challenging fishing.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Carsington 1 June Reply with quote

Arrived at Carsington with supreme confidence of a good day out. Was introduced to my boat partner Martin Searle who was a complete novice. Wind was from the South with a mixture of sun and high clouds. Started with a Di3 and blob and booby. First drift into Shinningford was greeted with a fish to Martin on an orange blob back drifting.
Another couple of short drifts I had a follow and that was it. Moved over to the far side and had a long drift down to the North End. Iíd swapped to the floater by now as odd fish were showing. I managed to pick one up, lost a few and had follows.
Moved over to the spit at Brown Ale bay where again we had a little action. I managed one here. Little surface activity and we headed back into Shinningford at the top end where we anchored up. Martin was getting offer after offer on a blob and minkie booby. I went through the box after switching to a faster sinking line picking up one fish. Both of us were getting follows but Martin was out-fishing me by some distance although he didnít manage to hook up enough.
Time to head home and a lot of fish were taken, mainly backdrifting but fish were apparently showing all day in Millfileds whereas we saw about 6 fish on surface all day.
A disappointing day on my ďhomeĒ water. Iíve really taken my finger off the pulse on here this year so thisíll have to change soon.
Liked by: Allrounder, drsixty7
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Ladybower 11 June Reply with quote

A good turnout for the Fishing for Heroes day on Ladybower. The water had come up after the recent rains and had a bit of colour in it. The wind was brisk from the dam and good cloud cover. I tackled up with a Di3 with ILB and Sweet Susan booby and a floater with more imitative patterns. I decided in my ultimate wisdom to start in Ladybower bay while everyone else sensibly made for the head of the wind. A long paddle down and into the bay proved fruitless with no interest in any of my tactics at all. A long paddle into the gusting wind was in order after a couple of wasted hours. A swap to a Di7 and pulling a black snake all the way back was also a waste of time. Caught up with Rick SKB around the cages and he was having sport to a snatcher and a fast glass. I swapped to the floater and eventually had my first take to the ILB, a welcome rainbow. A short while later I hooked a really good fish on the snatcher and after playing him for a while and just about to net him the braided loop connection failed and he went away with the lot. Rich continued to pick up fish and so did I. Rich left as the call of the pub was better than battling the waves.
The fish seemed to prefer the flies fished slowly the bulk of the takes coming to the snatcher and fought above their weight. I worked this area for a while until boats started to drift by both sides of the cages as the speed of the drift made it difficult for them. I made way and snuck in behind them. Fish were coming at regular intervals with a couple to a small olive nymph and a black buzzer ending with a total of 12 released and a few losses.
Tubers had had good sport all over with a rod average of over 7, even catching on dries.
A barbeque followed and a raffle. My good luck continued as I was winner of the new trophy for best bag. I also won a bottle of port in the raffle.

What a good day out.
Liked by: lakefisher, Flybysage, Clayts, Allrounder
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Willington 16 June Reply with quote

Decided to try Willington on an evening float tube. Started fishing at 7pm. Only tackled up with a floater with DB shipman and a blob. Covered a lot of water without any interest until the odd fish was moving under the wires. Covered a couple without any interest, so swapped to a damsel and was rewarded with four fish, one to the shipmans. The odd fish was cruising so I swapped to dries but only one tentative enquiry. Tried a biscuit blob but nothing so back to the damsel and another followed to a cat booby and a keys gold before a late swap to the ILB Mop brought the last fish for me. Disappointing as I couldnít quite crack the code.
Plenty of fish around and in good condition and up to 3 lbs. No fish showing close in though and there were fish showing as I arrived but a total lack of an evening rise.
Liked by: Allrounder, Clayts
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 25 of 27

Jump to: