Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Chew Croc hunt 12/5/17

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Chew Croc hunt 12/5/17 Reply with quote

Tony (lakefisher) and I shared a boat yesterday in the hope that most of the pike had finished spawning and would be moving into post spawn feeding mode. Things looked very promising when we set out with the wind coming from a warmer southerly direction with good cloud cover so we decided to start in the usual happy hunting grounds at the top of the lake. We found the water clarity both here and elsewhere had a slight green tinge but was still very good, probably 5 to 6 feet on average across the lake.

Tony's sonar showed that there were some preyfish around and it identified a a few larger blobs on the screen ( not the orange kind! Laughing ) that signified pike holding above the weed but after multiple drifts we only had a small Jack caught by Tony to show for our efforts. As for me I never had any taps or pulls from anything, not even trout, nor any follows to the boat all morning. Sad

By mid afternoon we decided that if it was going to happen it would have done so by now so we decided to have a look in the bays. That nearly proved to be an inspired decision when on the first drift, a low double figure pike loomed out of the depths behind my fly as it neared the end of the retrieve. I hung my fly but instead of engulfing it, the pike just 'kissed' it before surging back into its lair, leaving a huge boil in its wake and me with my heart in my mouth! Pike fly fishing is certainly not for anyone of a nervous disposition! Laughing

More drifts followed without incident until late in the afternoon when I had a similar experience but this time it took the fly. I even saw its red gills flare in the clear water as it lunged at my fly as I was about to lift off and after short scrap and a pic it was quickly released. It was a much smaller fish than the one that failed to take the fly earlier but the adrenaline rush was just as great. If the 'tug is the drug' then having a pike first track and then take your fly in clear water is pure amphetamine! Laughing

We had a few more follows and I lost another jack at the boat but then the wind picked up and as we were both knackered after throwing #10 weights and big flies around all day we came off the water early at 5pm. On the way back we saw a dead pike which was almost certainly a large spawn bound female. While it is sad to see, it is a completely natural occurrence at this time of year.

To sum up, another tough but enjoyable session on the 'big sticks' with Tony and thankfully this time I actually caught one! Rolling Eyes Hopefully there are better days to come! Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: blondie, lakefisher, tenet, Flybysage
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick "very" in front of -tough and -enjoyable, better sums up the day afloat with Alan Wink Thanks are due for a great day afloat Cool

We could not have asked for better weather and water conditions - but at least our efforts where not entirely in vain Laughing My sprog was of such a size that I said at the time "''Struth - I've got flies bigger than that" - but at least it was Green Laughing
Here's a quickly taken couple of shots of Alan dealing with his catch

Who's a happy bunny then Laughing

Was surprised that with the ideal conditions, and plenty of pike showing on my echo sounder that we didn't see much actual action from our quarry - perhaps still a tad early for them to be actively feeding.
Had some new toys to play with, wiggle tail flies from Fulling Mill. We were both very impressed with the scintillating action of these. They could be seen from many feet away in the water conditions of yesterday, but unfortunately, they didn't attract any attention.

I intend having another go next week Cool Just hoping they will be hungry by then Wink and the new flies work.
Was very sorry to see the well dead "big girl" - she would have been a guestimated 20+ pounds when alive - but as Alan has alluded too - these things will happen.

Cheers till the next croc hunt ....... Tony
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, Flybysage, blondie
cornish stalker

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great read alan, shame on the double not hooking up. that fly is a killer.
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony.If you fancy Wednesday,im up for a "croc hunt". Wink.Cheers.Steve Smile
Liked by: lakefisher
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blondie wrote:
Tony.If you fancy Wednesday,im up for a "croc hunt". Wink.Cheers.Steve Smile

Confirming PM awaiting you Steve Wink
Liked by: blondie
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Steve - NO boats available for Weds 17th - PM for you Wink ..... Tony
Liked by: blondie
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: