Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Where the Brits fear to tread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Rivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Where the Brits fear to tread. Reply with quote

I'm just back from my annual jaunt to Austria where in just over 9 hours of fishing nymphs and dries I caught something in the order of 100 wild browns, wild rainbows and grayling. The river lived up to it usual form.

However, there has been an interesting shift in the fish population over the last couple of years. It used to be a prolific grayling river where I would expect my catch to be around 75% grayling, 15% rainbows and 10% browns. Now it is more like 10% grayling and a more or less even split between rainbows and browns. I suspect that there has been a couple of poor recruitment years for the grayling, and as they are a short-lived fish this has created a hole in the overall fish population which the browns, and to a lesser extent the rainbows, have exploited. Grayling will eat a lot of trout eggs during trout spawning time and with fewer grayling at present it looks like the brown trout are benefitting. The rainbows there are spring spawners at much the same time as the grayling so are less affected by egg predation.

The title of this thread is quite correct. Apart from a few other Brits I have taken there I have never encountered another UK angler, or heard of one, in many, many years of fishing those waters.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wilson did a program there quite a few years ago.
Perhaps you should organise some fishing holidays Question
P
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

Tried that. I now have two travel companies with that area on their books and as far as I know they have had only two anglers take up the chance. They are going this year in July which is not the best time - gets too hot and there are too many people around, not fishing but just generally around on the river. I'm going in mid-June for a short trip. There is a window of opportunity then as it is weed-cutting in Hampshire and guiding slows right down.

The best I got was to offer a trip on the basis that everyone books their own flight, meet at the airport, I organise a hire car & split the cost, I drive and show everyone around, organise the hotel and fishing. Everyone responsible for their own costs etc. Got a few people then because they didn't have to do anything apart from book a flight.

I seriously cannot understand the reluctance of British anglers. You can have breakfast in England, lunch in Austria and be fishing by mid-afternoon. I have come to the conclusion that we are just lazy and would prefer to spend a few hours by some stockie puddle then by an Austrian river.

Still, all the more for me I guess. And yes, John Wilson did go several years ago and fished for carp in the grounds of a castle at Landskron - been past it many times.
He also fished the upper reaches of the River Drau during snow melt run-off and wondered why he didn't catch much!

Tough luck on the Test by the way. Farmoor is volcanic at present. I aim to go on Friday so I hope it lasts.

Bob.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in going but I am booked up May & June.
Farmoor on Friday is doable for me so see you there later in the day.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Rivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: