Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Spinning for coral reef fish?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Forum -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Spinning for coral reef fish? Reply with quote

I'm doing a surf and dive trip to Banyak islands off Indonesia next year. Apparently the fishing is really good too. They catch tuna and Spanish mackerel trawling between islands, but I am more interested in spinning in shallower water when we are moored up. I've got a light spinning rod and reel but no idea about tactics. I guess I should get some spoons and maybe a few heavy jigs? Any advice from anyone that has done this sort of thing?
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Asian Fishing Trip Reply with quote

Hello Dave

Plugs/rapalas/surface poppers is the way to go.Soft baits will get shredded although I can guarantee Hokais work on tunas.Beware of too light spinning outfit these fish will turn it inside out and fry the drag system.Not saying you need a winch but give yourself a fair chance.Jigs work well especially the Halco type with hooks attached to the front end and here again need a rod with some backbone/grunt.It is a whole different ball game in the fish power stakes as you will surely find out.

Best JP
Liked by: lepirate
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never as yet fished in Indonesia however have in many other islands in the
Pacific region so would imagine much the same conditions would apply, which are :-

Firstly there are usually three types of fish :-

(1) Smaller fish that live in the coral reefs & graze on coral & seaweed.

(2) Middle size fish that cruise the reefs feeding on the above species.

(3) The larger mostly deeper water fish several of which are seasonal & feed on either bait fish or (2)

As says many of the species such as barracuda, dogfish tuna, wahoo, sharks etc. have really formidable
dentures so require really heavy trace or even wire. Others in category (3) such as yellowfin, rainbow
runners, giant trevally etc. are powerful fighters that will totally decimate light gear.

Category (1) are mostly too small to eat plus many ingest toxins from the coral however (2) often have
a very dangerous intense build up from feeding on (1) that is known as ciguatera ( google it ) & can have
serious effects with no known cure if eaten so extreme caution required.

Long Tom are one species that inhabit the reefs ( long slender fish with a beak ) which are generally considered
safe to eat, nevertheless would pay to check & they are fairly prolific, suit lighter gear also fairly easy to catch.

As you are probably aware Indonesia consists of more than 17,500 Islands so presumably you will find one or
two that suit.

Be aware sharks, in particular bull sharks often cruise relatively shallow water as do Indonesian crocodiles which
have the reputation for being ultra aggressive.

https://www.google.co.nz/?gws_rd=ssl#q=crocodiles+indonesia

Good luck.
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Indonesia Reply with quote

Pretty well nailed it there Bazza. The Log Toms/Needlefish can fly but again wire advisable.Like giant garfish with serious dentures.Pain in the butt when livebaiting.
Looks a stunning location.Sailfish there at right time of the year.Not sure what opportunities you will have Dave but should be fun.''Anchored in an indigo moonlit bay.Gold eyed around fires the sea thieves lay.Morning,white shells and a pipe of clay.As the wind filled their footprints they were far far away'' Emerson,Lake and Palmer.Pirates.Works 1 1977.
Drink up me hearties yoho Very Happy

Best JP
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advice chaps - starting to get excited now! One of the deckhands on the bat caught a sizable GT on a hand line trawling off the back of the boat a couple of weeks ago!
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly the kind of thing I am looking to do.

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/articles/fishing-shallow-reefs.html

The guy recommends 15lb braid - any reason I would use that over the 15lb Maxima mono that I have currently got on my reel?
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
This is exactly the kind of thing I am looking to do.

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/articles/fishing-shallow-reefs.html

The guy recommends 15lb braid - any reason I would use that over the 15lb Maxima mono that I have currently got on my reel?

Braid is good as can load up smaller reel giving higher line capacity.I tend to go by diameter on braid as too thin is prone to cutting in with any real drag applied.It can cut in and then burn which is game over.Always wind it on using a dowel rod or similar through the spool and wedged in a bucket/bowl of water and criss cross regularly.I always put a top-shot of mono onto the braid as do not want the braid out when fish close to the boat.Braid attached to mono via a slim beauty knot.Always have one of those closed blade safety knives on a lanyard around my neck.I know this all sounds a little dramatic but you could well hook something the like of which you have never encountered before.Hopefully Very Happy I have had some close shaves and the scars to prove it.Hopefully you have not been yet or you have and everything is intact Laughing

Best JP
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha - good advice. I'm off in a few weeks. I have got some 30lb Spider wire braid - which I can still use for salmon when I get back. Haven't put it on the reel yet so will heed your advice!
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
ha ha - good advice. I'm off in a few weeks. I have got some 30lb Spider wire braid - which I can still use for salmon when I get back. Haven't put it on the reel yet so will heed your advice!

Always like the Spiderwire Spectra Braid.Used it quite a bit in the past.50lb was diameter of approx 12lb mono and it just seemed stiffer than the equivalent braids at the time.You will find it a little strange though as no give and sometimes the rod seems alive to every head shake.When you are pulling drag it is a weird sensation but it revolutionised stand-up game bluewater game fishing because reels could be smaller and still hold the line capacity required sometimes.These reels also could have the drags beefed up.I have seen carp fishing coffee grinder(fixed spool) type reels from a reputable stable absolutely cooked.The market soon caught up.My favourite is the Stella but lots of goodies out there now.Have fun which I feel sure you will.Hope you have GoPro or similar.Remember to put some token amount of mono on first or the whole spool of line can spin when the heat goes on Laughing I know you are an experienced fisher but do not overfill the reel with braid.Leave some shoulder and take it steady.Get used to slowing the cast down as it nears the end.All smooth is good bit like the fly rod.A backlash in braid is a nightmare so d'ont force it and all should be good.If you get a take and you have a backlash just be careful and do not hesitate to use the knife Sad if deemed necessary.It happens.Have had a bait in the water following a cast and a backlash.Braid is like a cheesewire.Another good reason for a topshot.

https://youtu.be/wtrlJCfqybU

Best JP
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound advice from JCP. particularly regards winding braid or any other non stretch line onto your spool, as because unlike
mono or flouro it has no stretch, therefore does not compress, hence if under load the entire wound on material can spin as
if it were a sleeve on a shaft due to not being able to form a grip.

As JCP advises this problem can be overcome by starting off with mono or similar forming a "bed" of 2 or 3 mm deep depending
on the size of the spool then tie the braid onto that using a suitable knot such as a double Uni or an Albright.

If for some reason there is a preference for using 100% braid or non stretch material then merely wrapping a woven type adhesive
band aid around the centre spool first will provide enough "bedding" to prevent slippage.

There are pros & cons to be considered if comparing braid over nylon & vice versa.

Braid = very thin & strong giving far more line capacity with the advantage of being ultra sensitive regards "feel" plus its' thin dia.
means far less resistance or drag in the water & overall usually considered more fun to use than stretch material, albeit with less
room for error.

Braid against = a nightmare if it becomes tangled, special knots advisable & can cut to the bone if wound around finger/s, hand,
wrist etc. if a reasonably significant weight comes on. For the same reasons it is hard on rod guides & suchlike.

Good luck

PS have you considered SWFF as an alternative as generally speaking have more control over target species by choice of fly, or
being able to sight particular fish in shallow water but unfortunately standard freshwater gear is largely not up to the task, reels
can start smoking then burn out or fly to pieces if hooked into a sizeable angry fish. Also special tropical flylines are required in
the warm water as standard lines will soon warm up to a point of being akin to trying to cast a soggy noodle & conversely
a tropical line in colder conditions will stiffen up to a point it is like trying to cast piano wire.
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWFF not an option unfortunately. Main boat has rigging etc so casting not possible, and the small inflatable not really stable enough for fly casting. Trawling big lures and jigging small spoons at anchor are the best options apparently.
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from an amazing trip. Those shore jigs were the magic lure but I lost them all within a couple of days! All sorts of reef fish liked them, especially the coral trout.

We did well trolling with the highlight being a very large dorado (mahi mahi) being the highlight.
Liked by: Allrounder
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
Back from an amazing trip. Those shore jigs were the magic lure but I lost them all within a couple of days! All sorts of reef fish liked them, especially the coral trout.

We did well trolling with the highlight being a very large dorado (mahi mahi) being the highlight.

Glad it went well for you. Did you get to taste the mahimahi & coral trout, as both are superb eating when fresh.

A week today, along with a group of eight others, I will be wading the flats at Christmas Is casting flies in
the hope of hooking up primarily on bonefish, with the chance of GT's, pigfish etc. so can but hope it proves
as successful as your trip.
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazza wrote:
BristolFlyer wrote:

Glad it went well for you. Did you get to taste the mahimahi & coral trout, as both are superb eating when fresh.

A week today, along with a group of eight others, I will be wading the flats at Christmas Is casting flies in
the hope of hooking up primarily on bonefish, with the chance of GT's, pigfish etc. so can but hope it proves
as successful as your trip.

We ate them all - the mahi mahi was particularly good - it did two meals for all 12 men on board! Very Happy

Enjoy your trip - sounds amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Forum -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: