Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Venue Review - Dever Springs Trout Fishery

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexH
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Venue Review - Dever Springs Trout Fishery Reply with quote

Lakes: 2 plus a stretch of the R Dever (at extra cost)
Size: Small, one and two acres approx
Stock: Rainbows, Browns, occasional Blue and Salmon
Size: 4lb approx to 20lb+
Water: Gin Clear with seasonal algal blooms
Facilities: Excellent
Web: www.deversprings.com

Always compared to Avington, Dever became legendary in the early 90s with massive rainbows and Browns being caught regularly. Hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons when the 36lb leviathan record was withdrawn when the captor admitted to cheating.

The lakes arent as picturesque as nearby Avington but are still pretty enough with lush weed growth in the summer. The venue seems to be moving away from 'the ultimate big fish water' to 'the UKs finest fly fishing' and while in the 90s the former was definitely true, today it's arguable about the latter.

The fish are typically very good and fight well. There are always some huge fish about, but for me, somehow the magic has gone a bit. Dever now seems like a premier stillwater rather than a place where every glance into the water could turn your hair grey!

PBs from Dever Rainbow 16lb 4oz Brown approx 8lb.
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another cracking review Alex, thanks Very Happy

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Venue Review - Dever Springs Trout Fishery Reply with quote

AlexH

Nice report. I reckon I got my grey hair from this venue.

I see that you have mentioned that they are charging extra for River Dever stretch.

Can you tell us what that might be?

AlexH
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Venue Review - Dever Springs Trout Fishery Reply with quote

Myangle wrote:
AlexH

Nice report. I reckon I got my grey hair from this venue.

I see that you have mentioned that they are charging extra for River Dever stretch.

Can you tell us what that might be?

Don't quote me on this because i didnt pay it, but i fished dever last year and fancied a go on the bottom part of the river where i'd seen some nice browns. I enquired at the hut and was told it would cost £40 to fish the river..! I think it's booked separately from the lakes and has a max of one or two rods. IMO it's not really worth it, there's only a few spots that could hold a nice fish, apart from loads of small grayling.
Nikko829

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Dever Springs Reply with quote

I will be down at Dever tomorrow. Four hours drive from me, but can't wait to fish the place.

Will post my days fishing on here Very Happy

Cheers
Flybysage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dever Springs Reply with quote

Nikko829 wrote:
I will be down at Dever tomorrow. Four hours drive from me, but can't wait to fish the place.

Will post my days fishing on here Very Happy

Cheers

Hi Nikko,

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you have a good day fishing there! I did when I went. Be careful though, fishing blind (i.e. casting out without seeing the fish) can fill your day ticket up very quickly. Try, if light conditions allow, to stalk your fish.
The small lake as you drive in is normally very clear and you can see the fish. The big lake by the lodge can be more difficult however, the corner swim by the driveway as you first approach has an inlet which holds fish as does the corner diagonally opposite.

Good luck and post some pics!!
csfcodhunter
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished Dever again yesterday. Clarity was excellent on bottom lake, good on top lake by the entrance. Slow start but after 2 hours 1st fish on damsel nymph. Caught 2 mid pm on red stick fly. Then mayfly started hatching and fish were rising profusely on top lake. Switched to a mayfly imitation and caught my 4th. All fish were in superb condition weighing between 4lb 12 and 7lb 2oz. Love Dever!
csfcodhunter
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of photos from Dever this week

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: