Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Venue Review - Thornwood Springs Trout Fishery, Essex

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uglystik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Venue Review - Thornwood Springs Trout Fishery, Essex Reply with quote

Close to J7 of the M11 and 10mins from Epping Tube Station, Thornwood Lakes is found at the far end of a small road called Carpenters Arms Lane. You need to drive through a small gated estate, with automatic gates, and then through the gates of the fishery, down a short track, past the tackle & snack shop and into the car park. Peter, the fishery manager will probably come and greet you and is always able to tell you what's catching etc.

The shop is small but has all the essentials; flies etc. and the range of tackle is expanding - including hire, by arrangement. Tea, coffee, bottled water and a few snacks are also available. Chemical toilets are to be found in various locations around the site.

The fishery is relatively new but now has three lakes, the most recent of which is designed as a stalking water. It's the smallest of the three lakes but has the biggest fish: rainbows and browns over 3.5lbs and well into the doubles. Lakes 1 and 2 are both around 3acres each but they fish differently, which creates variety. Lake 2 is not C&R but has bigger fish on average than Lake 1, but that is not to say Lake 1 has no big fish - it does!

C&R is only allowed from Lake 1 and there is a variety of tickets from 15/20 up. The 50 ticket gets you 2 fish from any lake and C&R in Lake 1 afterwards. 25 gets you C&R all day and 30 gets you 3 fish from Lake 1 and C&R thereafter. There are browns in all the lakes and regardless of ticket, browns are C&R only. Large resident brownies are often seen cruising the margins, especially of Lake 1, but the rainbows are all in great condition and fight well above their weight, giving great fishing from whichever lake(s) you choose to fish.

I've been a regular at Thornwood since 2010 and for me, the great thing about it is that the water is crystal clear, the fish are great fighters and they are more often than not evident on the top (or just under), feeding naturally. This makes it a great place to try out and perfect your dry fly fishing & nymphing. There is a single fly and barbless hooks rule, which can make things a little more challenging but that said, I hear of very few blanks and it's a great place to catch a good sized brownie - if you can.

Thornwood Springs is open all year, including the long hot summer months many crave. The lakes are all deep enough to support healthy fighting fish even when the smell of sun screen is in the air - which means the longest days of the year can be spent fishing, not dreaming. Very Happy

http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Here's one of my favourite catches, a brown of 3lbs+

And this is the Lake 1, looking NW

Last edited by uglystik on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review Smile

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
uglystik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a great afternoon's fishing at Thornwood yesterday, culminating in a personal best 13lb 4oz rainbow from Lake 1 at the end of the afternoon, on a cats whisker. Also caught on a montana and a red/orange buzzer. All great fighting fish, although not quite as big as the last one! Very Happy
22lbbrown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: chalk stream in the making for grayling & browns... Reply with quote

just started work on my grayling and brown stream /tributary...all 3 lakes fishing great,since johns 13.5lb fish a while ago there have been 10 + double figure grown on overwintered by 4 years rainbows landed from lake 1 alone....biggest nudging 15lbs! all these fish stocked 4 years ago and biggest stocked was 8lbs in this lake........a testament to good natural food sources!
Lukethetrout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great day at thornwood springs today 4 rainbows @ 2 1/2lb, 3lb, 3lb, 3 1/2lb. All great looking fin perfect fish and all extremely hard fighting and to top it off a 6lb brown on the dry fly fantastic. I must say this fishery is fantastic and the clarity of the water is crystal clear. If you live in essex, hertfordshire or surrounding counties you must visit this place you won't be disappointed.
uglystik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gonna sound like I only fish the cat but only when it works! Was at Thornwood again today, for a very few hours at the end of the afternoon but as soon as I cast out a cat I was into fish - 1st and 2nd cast! Not sure what happened though - perhaps it was my headcold - but I had 10 fish on the hook and they all came off before I could get them in the net, but luckily I had 10 others that I landed Very Happy , so in the space of 90mins I'd more than bagged up, all on one fly. Lots of other interest too.

Not much of an evening rise today though: I had to make do with those teasers drowning my f-fly a few times, and not actually taking it. Perhaps another day.
uglystik

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another stonking day at Thornwood last Friday, using the same Cats Whisker Very Happy Managed another full bag and plenty more on C&R and had time to act as gillie to my less experienced friend - who also caught - and to the manger Question who was playing some of the really big bows in Lake 3! Thanks for another great day Peter.
Zimfisherboy
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Thornwood Reply with quote

Had a fab day at Thornwood yesterday. Caught a cracking 4lb Brownie and four rainbow trout. Went with Rich, Nigel and Mick who all caught fish. We were welcomed and given advice by the fishery manager and he has a small but adequate fishing tackle supply on site with some good advice.

I am sure 22lber will be happy to put a picture of the trout up when he reads this.
thewidowsson
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like a happy chappie, well done mate.
Billy.
22lbbrown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: zimfisherboy kev with his brownie Reply with quote

more great brownie pictures on our facebook pages thornwood trout lakes and flyfishing
22lbbrown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: fantastic fishing Reply with quote

great fishing to varied tactics lately- from dry fly to lures to nymphs - big bags of fish -best 25 fish this weekend to luke, to blobs and intermediate line- then next day emerging buzzers & crunchers on floating- hoppers on top still taking fish when rising- fish to 11lbs landed , and bigger being lost Very Happy
22lbbrown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: lake 1 changes & new stuff... Reply with quote

lake 1 -three springs lake has changed into a sectioned off 1.25 acre catch & kill easy for all levels and ages of flyfisherperson.. with tickets starting at 15 for 1 fish rising to 30 for 4 fish- parent and child can share the 3 or 4 fish ticket option...the remaining 1.75 acres is catch and release only for mainly brown trout in 1-10lb range and original ticket prices apply for a days fishing - eg. 28 for 2 rainbows plus c&r afterwards in c&r section of lake or 22 for an evening ticket etc etc. Lakes 2 & 3 same as before - all lakes been fishing well with rainbows to 8lb this weekend landed - bigger lost... and 3 nice browns landed from 2 & 3 this weekend -a 7lber, 9lber and best a 12lber all overwintered and well grown on fish. So if fancy a bit of brown trout fishing pay us a visit! Follow us on our new blog Fly Fishing Thornwood Springs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: