Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Halliford Mere Lakes (recent Performance)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ealing92

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not got round to calling Gerry yet, but bumped into one of the old regulars yesterday and he's saying it's back to as good as it used to be and fishing well @ the mo. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!
ealing92

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just had a great day @ the Mere today, unfortunately cut short due to my youngest doing a Superman impression @ school and needing 3 stiches in his chin Shock

Got there around 9 and could see loads of fish on top in the top end of lake 1. Had a good chat with Gerry who ran me through what was working and what his plans are for the place. He's a great bloke and has the Mere looking amazing. I only lost 1 fly in a tree this time!! Started in the swim by the entrance on a black damsel that Gerry said had been working recently, few follows but no joy. Moved onto the swim opposite the carpark and there were fish swirling all round the place taking just under the surface. Missed one on a green damsel then plunked on a grey klinkhammer after Gerry and I had seen a fish take a small gray fly close in by the restaurant earlier and covered one close in. Fish absolutely smashed the fly and had a great fight. Went a little quiet so had a coffee with Gerry then moved onto L3 where the klink did the business 2 more times in the swim by narrow channel which has been cleared and looking like it's full of fish. Was congratulating myself on an amazing morning and looking to beat my PB of 5 in one day @ the Mere when the phone went and I had to pick up Superman and run up to A&E Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

What was great was that Gerry said as I was leaving that I'd paid til 9 so come back if I could - just need the missus to get home and I may sneak back again today!!

All in all was probably the best day I'd had there in a long time and a season ticket looks like a very sensible investment...just need to convince the wife of that!! Razz

Cannot wait to get back especially as Gerry is doing food now for us hungry anglers!!
Russell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Halliford has been a place that I like going to but has undoubtedly been a struggle in recent years, so I tend to go once a year more in hope than anything else.

Having kept an eye on the recent changes in management I headed off there yesterday a bit more hopeful than usual. Got there about 8.30 (thanks M25 Evil or Very Mad) had a chat and a coffee with Gerry (nice bloke) who put me in the direction where the fish were showing.

It was a bright start to the day so the shade of the north bay was where I was heading. Lots of movement here and had one almost straight away on a BFD followed by another on a black/red buzzer, lost another one and had a few plucks and follows. A pretty good start to the day Smile (you might think there's a big 'but' coming - there isn't Wink)

As the sun got higher the fish went deep and the action stopped mid morning. Had a wander but couldn't see any fish save the odd one in the next lake down (lake 3?) but still very weedy in there, you could only fish a dry and even then you would probably struggle to land anything, I did have a couple of Rudd though.

Came back to the north bay and it started to cloud over, put on a PTN and wallop! 4 fish in about half an hour. Had to pack up around 2.30 but ended up with 8 rainbows some of which really did give a good account of themselves.

I'm sure if I had stayed I would have had more out and they were starting to come out from other parts of the lake too.

A very good day in the end and it looks and feels like it's going in the right direction, so hopefully will be going a bit more often now.

Russell Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: