Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

23/9/14 First Bass

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports - Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: 23/9/14 First Bass Reply with quote

I have been lure and fly fishing in Shaldon, South Devon, since late summer on and off and this evening I was rather chuffed to catch my first bass - a chubby 1 and a half pounder that gave a good account i unhooked in the water Very Happy This was also at high tide rather than the usual 2 hrs either side of low.

Had a few small mackerel as well at dusk. All fish returned shaken off the crushed barb hooks .

Previous sessions Ive had a few mackerel for the table on the dexters wedges, hooked and lost a salmon or sea trout on the SG sandeel - spat the hook on some big jumps - looked a good size Evil or Very Mad and the local i was chatting to at the time was really gutted Crying or Very sad , and a rockling in the dark. On the fly rod ive had mackerel and 5 inch pollock - but ive spottted a fair few mullet in the shallows that i might target with this!

Rather fun this sea fishing - just turn up, gears not expensive, no permit to buy can do a couple of hours at a time. Sill buying too many lures though Rolling Eyes - but only using a few so far....

Cheers
Rog
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Rog,

First of many.

They go really well on the fly.

Not sure what flies you are using, clousers maybe, but try some traditional reservoir flies such as cats whiskers, anything totally black or white ( I had one of my best sessions for bass on the fly using a black size 12 cats whisker, caught 13 or so in an afternoon).

For the mullet, bread fly or just a tiny piece of white foam and groundait with Braces Smile

Also dragging a fly along the bottom will pick up flatties.

It was probably a sewin (sea trout) you lost.

Keep at it.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Rog. Shows that perseverance pays off in the end Smile

I'm hoping to follow suit this weekend. My last Bass trip ended in a blank so at least I can't do any worse! Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sterling work Rog, well done! Smile

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps! only managed a pair of mackerel and half a dozen mini pollock on the spinning gear last night. Bit blowy for the fly kit - I'm hoping the mullet stay around long enough for me to try them.

Will keep you posted as I learn more...and hopefully pick up some other species - the estuary is supposed to be good for flounders so might be worth trying with the fly rod as Bill suggests.

Rog
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: 7/9/15 Second Bass! Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Despite doggedly attempting to catch sea fish most of the year on and off I finally managed to land a mini bass from the Teign estuary yesterday all of 6" long. Almost exactly a year after my first one Confused I did also hook and play a larger one of a few lb which escaped spitting the hook in the shallows. My (relative) success came with a change of retrieve after watching and chatting to the locals (who fish live or skinny sandeel patterns behind a ball weight) - ive been using savegear sandeels - normal and weedless heads with paddle-tails and smaller curly tail bodies on a jig head. The locals seem to sink and draw them as they drift in the current which I tried to emulate. They think they are near the bottom but say they cant feel it - my larger sandeels definately hit bottom as the lead noses get battered flat!

Anybody fish these sort of lures? Any good light and small jig heads like the 16grm savagear but smaller for the small curlytail bodies you can point me to - the real sandeels i have seen in the estuary margins are pretty small?

Finally my fly fishing has taken a back seat at the moment - hopefully fix that now the hordes of holidaymakers are thinning out!

Cheers

Roger
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rog, try this little kit,

https://www.anglingactive.co.uk/savage-gear-mini-sandeel-kit-lures-jiggheads-fishing.html?sel=19862&gclid=CIjatOOZ5ccCFSb4wgodhJYDMQ

Although really for LRF rods, and weighing only a few grams, I find they cast quite well on normal kit. I suppose because they are small and quite dense. I have used them over here and caught pollack and coal fish on them fishing from the rocks.

As for jig heads, I really like these. The little nylon tag keeps soft baits in place without splitting the slimmer ones. Again nice and dense and easily cast.
http://www.gerryslurefishingtackle.co.uk/aqua-wave-lock-head-jigheads.ir

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fossil

I do actually have a set of the mini sandeel kit - but didnt have it with me and i suspect they are a little too small in the hook department. However following your links I found you can get the savagegear jig heads in 7g which I think will be perfect 7g size 2 savagegear. I thought the 3/0 16g version was the smallest

Cheers Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports - Members All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: