Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

On the Rocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Forum -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: On the Rocks Reply with quote

Even though I live by the sea I am not into sea angling. As a youngster I would spend hours perched on peirs and harbour walls catching small coalfish (locally known as blockan), mackeral, pollock and just about anything else that was swimming close in below me. There was no distintiction between sea fishing and freshwater fishing. Fishing was fishing and the tackle used for both was identical, a seven foot solid glass spinning rod, a cheap fixed spool reel, eight pound line and a tiny box filled with small floats, leads and eyed hooks.

Things changed drastically as a young adult. I became absorbed in coarse fishing and as a result match fishing. Rods, reels and lines had specfic jobs to do and fishing and fishing tackle were taken very seriously. Later I adopted a specimen style approach to my fishing when I hunted down large rudd, hybrids, pike and later carp. Things probably became a little to serious then. So when I decided to dabble with sea fishing the same intensive approach was taken. It had to be done right, with the right tackle and you had at least to be seen to be taking it very seriously. Problem was I didn't really catch very much and what little I did catch didn't really provide much sport on the heavy tackle being used. It was never as productive or as much fun as it was with the little seven foot kiddies rod.

Taking up fly fishing a few years back was a liberating experience for me. I realised that as long as I was enjoying it, and catching a few fish, I really didn't have to be very good at it. (Just as well really) Just being out with a rod and reel and catching something, regardless of size or species, was rewarding enough. Lure fishing, especially the light or ultra light type, fitted naturally into this ideal. Then a little while ago while reading up on websites and in magazines I became aware of a whole new approach to sea fishing. LRF, or light rock fishing. Tooth pick like rods, tiny reels, extremely fine braid and tiny lures. I was obviously intrigued.

I have owned LRF gear for a few months now and although I have causght a few sea fish on it I have had most success in freshwater. Perch are teriific fun. However today I had a proper day out with a couple of friends from work who would be much more experienced at sea angling. Although I took some slightly heavier gear I also brought the LRF kit. We all three had a brilliant day. A beautiful rock mark on our North Antrim coast and plenty of fish. We simply caught all day. The little LRF handled decent sized pollock and wrasse, although some of the bigger pollock did give a few scary moments. So there I sat, on a rock, with my little seven foot rod, tiny reel loaded with eight pound braid and had one of the most fun days I have ever had fishing. The rig consisted of a single large split shot on a fluorocarbon trace and size six hook. I later changed to a little drop shot rig when the tide began to pull a bit.

I have to admit to using bait on my LRF set up. Setions of rag worm. I think this might be seen by some LRF experts as a bit like using a sight indicator when fly fishing. But then I am no expert, nor do I want to be.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fun.
I did think that you had some great fishing around you.
A friend of mine lives near Longford in the Midlands and I use to go regularly for the coarse fishing with him and then fly fishing on some of the lough near by.
I am going to give LRF a go in Cornwall when down there week after next.
Ff
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Forum -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: