Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.castingatshadows.com

Found a Daiwa Osprey Pro Fly rod advice needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richtees66

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Found a Daiwa Osprey Pro Fly rod advice needed. Reply with quote

Hi all.

Am new here as keen to try fly fishing after 30 years away.

The thing that has me interested is finding an old Daiwa rod in the loft. Its an Osprey Carbon Pro Fly 10'6" 6-8. Its in almost new condition - even has the plastic wrapper around the hand grip. Trouble is its been up in the loft since 1970, the year my dad died - even tho it looks like new i believe it was his rod.
Anyone any idea how old it is and is it safe to use without risk of breaking it? assuming its a late 60's rod does the carbon fibre weaken with age?
Thanks in advance.
richtees66

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps. Just mean its 30 years since ive been fly fishing - not that ive been away for that long - oops.
Flybysage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a Daiwa Osprey Pro Fly rod advice needed. Reply with quote

richtees66 wrote:
Hi all.

Am new here as keen to try fly fishing after 30 years away.

The thing that has me interested is finding an old Daiwa rod in the loft. Its an Osprey Carbon Pro Fly 10'6" 6-8. Its in almost new condition - even has the plastic wrapper around the hand grip. Trouble is its been up in the loft since 1970, the year my dad died - even tho it looks like new i believe it was his rod.
Anyone any idea how old it is and is it safe to use without risk of breaking it? assuming its a late 60's rod does the carbon fibre weaken with age?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Richtees66, welcome to the forum!

I don't know if carbon does wear with age but if you do decide to cast a line, do so with caution. I would use a 6# line, a small length of mono with a piece of wool (or a fairly large fly with the hook shank cut off) on the end for some casting weight and find a field and have a go in there. Wind at your back and start to cast gently back and forth and very gradually increase the line distance and power. You might feel silly standing in a field but A: you wont be tempted to cast to a rising fish just out of range. B: If you were to catch a sizeable fish, the rod could break! (Obviously, that wouldn't happen in a field!)

Good luck and I hope that helps!
fossil-fish
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with rods with old style 3 line ratings they probably worked best with a weight forward line of the middle number, in your case a 7. I imagine compared to modern rods you will find it soft and heavy. Going down a line size might make it feel better. I have an old 10'6" and to be honest at that length it is an absolute wrist breaker. Not something you would want to fish with all day.

Something nice to own though especially with it's connections to your Father. Personally I would keep it as a keepsake and perhaps use once. I can understand how nice it would be to catch a fish on it.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

http://woodfordfly.co.uk/
richtees66

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the welcomes and replies.

I'd definately like to take it out once and hopefully catch a fish on it. I will however test it first as suggested and will need practice casting as havent been fishing since my teens.

In reality tho i'll be looking for a rod of my own rather than risk damaging the Daiwa.

Thanks again.
chriswhitehurst

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Diawa fly rod Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been fishing with a 9ft 6inch Diawa Osprey S fly rod for 15 years. It is a 7-9 weight, I use weight 8 lines. It is a nice rod and handles fish extremely well.
Go ahead and give it a go.
I also use Intrepid gearfly reels, they are really brilliant.
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it's a new rod and not been used it will be ok.

Carbon is brittle, in practical terms it does not suffer from fatigue.

What can happen is if it gets a knock or a weighted fly bounces off it a small crack can occur turning into a stress crack which in theory over time the rod could fail.

Some people believe carbon rods soften over time, that's not the carbon, more likely the glass fibre wrap of a composite rod.
Rods have glass fibre in them, no rod is 100% carbon.

The latest Airbus and the B787 Dreamliner are 50% carbon, new aircraft technolgy is going that way. Try not to slam the toilet door if you are flying in one Smile .

Carbon is strong but brittle, many mainstream bikes are now being made out of carbon, you wouldn't get me on one though, I'll stick with steel.

There endeth the physics lesson, move over Dr Roger Boffin Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: