The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Do I really need Braid

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black - Don
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Do I really need Braid Reply with quote

Ever since Richard mentioned getting some braided line for my trip to Alicante in the first section of this Sea Fishing subforum to help with bite detection,

Whistlekiller wrote:
I used 1 to 2oz I think as the sea was quite calm where I was. Also, if you can, spool up with 40lb braid. Bite detection is much better that way.

I've had the tackle twitch. Been looking at reels and braid on line and thinking um yes I could do with a spinning reel about that size to go with my new rod ( even though I have a , never used, spare one lying around which just isn't quite the right size but would do ) and even though I have 250m of 50lb unopened braid and countlesss spools of nylon of varying strengths, I'm thinking well if I go down to 20lb I could justify the purchase of a smaller reel which would then justify the purchase of a new spool of braid.

The thing is, considering I have various spinning reels already spooled with various strengths of nylon as well, do I really need braid or should I just make the best of what I've got which is probably more than adequate but not just quite as bite sensitive as it could be ?

Especially when I'm trying to get rid of gear rather than buy more of the stuff !

Or, if I really would be better with braid, I have a 100m of 20lb white trout backing. Should I just whack that on my 5.0:1 reel and make do considering I don't expect to catch anything massive in the Med on a 3 hook flapper rig or should I really go for the 40/50lb spider wire I've already got on the spare 4.5:1 reel I have just in case ?

http://fishinscotland.blogspot.com/

Aye, an dinnae try to cast a 4oz lead with a 40grm rod. Unless it's a Daiwa of course. They're bombproof !
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first of I know very little about sea fishing.

I use braid for just about everything now except light float fishing. For feeder fishing or ledgering it makes bite detection a hundred times easier and setting hooks so much simpler. You simply lift the rod to set the hooks.

For lures I just would not use anything else, there are just to many advantages. Firstly it behaves much better on fixed spool reels being softer and much finer diameter than mono. Just try fishing 20lb mono on a light spinning reel. It allows much more control over your lures, you know exactly where it is and can feel exactly what it is doing. Again bite detection and hook setting are greatly enhanced. Most of my lure fishing would involve straight steady retrieves. In these cases most takes are simply a case of finding yourself attached to a fighting fish. Also lures can be expensive and the higher breaking strain and lack of stretch can mean that you are able to retrieve many snagged lures by straightening the hooks.

Downside would be that they are less resistant to abrasion, but you mitigate against this by using a higher a breaking strain which will have a slightly thicker diameter. In some cases fluorocarbon or clear nylon rubbing traces can be used. For all round general spinning I would highly recommend Power Pro braid in 30lb breaking strain.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you guys must be after some massive fish to be talking in terms of 20, 30 & 40 lb braid.

I have just spooled my new Avet SXJ5.3 lever drag with 50 yds of 20 lb mono then 300 yds of 10 lb braid &
expect to be able to land up to 30 lb or even heavier fish on it.

Keeping in mind most good quality braids will mostly have an actual BS 3/4 to double that stated then coupled
with a suitable forgiving rod, handling fish X 3 or more the stated BS should be quite feasible with the possible
exception of fishing around sharp reefs or rocks.

Under normal conditions if braid fails it is invariably due to unsuitable tied knots ( leader to braid ) or damaged
guide rings.

Braid has huge advantages over mono such as non stretch giving far greater sensitivity along with much finer dia
allowing less weight, sinks faster, is less affected by current & if casting gives greater distance. However to fully
gain the advantages it offers certain aspects like suitable knots such as double uni or the albright need particular
attention also from a safety point of view getting flesh caught up in fast moving braid can cut very deep very fast.

However there are some aspects that require a different approach to mono such as not being compressible like
nylon it needs a cushioned base like tape or a layer of mono to prevent the entire line from spinning on the arbor
thru lack of grip & also needs to be wound on very tight to avoid the line "biting in" under pressure.

Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much the size of the fish we're after Bazza, more the ability to straighten hooks to retrieve our lures out of snags! Very Happy

That reel looks the nuts BTW......

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

The only place to get Avets in the Uk is

www.rokmax.com

And they are in your budget Very Happy
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

springwell wrote:
And they are in your budget Very Happy

Yes, thank you Bill, well within......... Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:
It's not so much the size of the fish we're after Bazza, more the ability to straighten hooks to retrieve our lures out of snags! Very Happy

That reel looks the nuts BTW......

Quite right, but also I would not be as convinced as Barry as to the breaking strains. I would never treat braid as twice the stated strength, in fact I would roughly go for half. For general light spinning where I might use 6 to 8lb mono I would be using 15lb braid. 10lb braid is on my 500 sized reel and utra light rod. 20 to 50lb on my pike gear.

Couple of reasons for this. Firstly none of my lure fishing would take place in completely open water. There will always be snags and hazards. Secondly braid has much less abrasion resitance than mono so the heavier breaking strain will still offer reduced diameter without the same fragility. I am sure I could land everything I catch on 10lb braid but need to make a balanced tackle choice to ensure safe catch and release.

Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not fish 15 lb braid with 2 or 3mtrs of 25 to 30 lb flourocarbon trace joined on the end.

That would give the fun of fighting a fish on light line & give the abrasion resistance of flouro
in most instances. If the lure snags & will not pull free then are almost certain of losing the lure
anyway but at least the lighter braid is going to break off at the knot.

I have one med/heavy rod set up with 30 lb. braid 80 lb trace for popper fishing the coral dropoffs
for the likes of giant trevally which pull like a bull elephant & it handles that ok unless they get back
into the coral in which case nothing short of wire cable is going to hold them.
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazza wrote:
Why not fish 15 lb braid with 2 or 3mtrs of 25 to 30 lb flourocarbon trace joined on the end.

That would give the fun of fighting a fish on light line & give the abrasion resistance of flouro
in most instances. If the lure snags & will not pull free then are almost certain of losing the lure
anyway but at least the lighter braid is going to break off at the knot.

I have one med/heavy rod set up with 30 lb. braid 80 lb trace for popper fishing the coral dropoffs
for the likes of giant trevally which pull like a bull elephant & it handles that ok unless they get back
into the coral in which case nothing short of wire cable is going to hold them.

Strangely enough Barry I would use a system something like this when bait fishing with a swim feeder. Normally about 25' of mono. Really need this on the Erne due to the zebra mussels on the ledges. Also allows a bit of a safety factor when playing fish at close range. Not sure if I would like a similar system with lures due to having an extra knot to catch weed and debris. Worth a thought though. Would use a short,18", trace of fluorocarbon when fishing for trout or perch but anywhere where pike are a possibility requires a wire trace. Your idea is definitely worth thinking about though.
Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: