Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

New Section?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g.atthenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevZim wrote:
Spot on Alan.

However G@TN/Geordie has a point - I mostly fish a club stretch of river which has plenty of poaching problems. So much so that members now tend to be rather guarded when asked about the fishing by passers by...
Give me a fortnight and I'll be updating the Duchy thread, and should be able to pop a couple more updates on as the season progresses.

Hi Kev,....id go more for a handfull of club members who dont wish to share their fishing on the river Wink,if poaching is a problem here on our rivers it would be quite easy for poachers with lack of anglers on the bank to witness it,you could drive round our rivers all day and be lucky to find a single angler Rolling Eyes....on all trout rivers,salmon and seatrout is a different matter,everyone likes to brag about those rivers even if they fishing crap Rolling Eyes....however,...you will find reports from trout rivers once the Dollaghan start to run. Wink

I have been searching for input on rivers i grew up on,you mainly find a club web site with not much to go on,....and no reports on forums.All the talk of poaching being a worry on reporting on our rivers trout fishing,...id class as a myth Rolling Eyes....in my view poaching may be going on quite freely with lack of eyes on the rivers to do anything about it.
Going by what you just sayed on members being more guarded on the fishing to passers by,......i show up and buy a day ticket,go out and have a good day on the river,come home and stick up a nice wee report on my day......id expect to be dragged through the mill by club members for doing so Rolling Eyes....i may find myself being treated differently on my next return. Wink..... i have been through the mill before. Wink

If club water is being poached,....they need to put the eyes on the river to stop it,not just blame other folks for their lack of protection,if they not watching their water day and night ,what do they expect.??.....poaching is only possible when all eyes have gone,or dont exist as is much the case on our rivers....anyways,once the salmon and Dollaghan start to run,......its like getting on a bus or train,....it wont be long til you hear the famous words,...TICKETS PLEASE!!! Very Happy Wink
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ja, appreciate things are a bit different over there.

It's money isn't it. That's why the Salmon and Sea trout rivers tend to have better bailiff control.

It's also why the EA are so stretched, and probably has a lot to do with why they dish out a slap on the wrist or a few stern words than incur the cost of a prosecution.

Believe me, our club members are vigilant (well - as usual, much of the vigilance comes from a few of the members). They've even set up taught steel cable over some of the bridge pools to stop people snagging from above. Does improve your sidecast from below the bridge pretty quickly I must say.
I've seen off poachers five times this season, and I've only fished three. Worst of the lot are a couple of cunning little scrotes who claim ignorance every time. The EA and club bailiff have both been fooled, as have most club members. But you only get fooled once. As they're minors, and perhaps because they're from a certain section of the community, they get away with it. And boy - do they get away with a lot of trout. But not on my watch...
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can understand the difference between an open discussion around venues that are regularly stocked and those where the fish population are under constant threat from poaching etc. It's a real shame but I suppose that's the world we live in these days. Sad

Having said that, there is nothing stopping the stockie bashers on here from creating their own equivalent of the Bristol Water thread based on their own venues. All it needs is a general agreement to post under a single thread (the Mods can help here) but of course people will need to post regularly if it is going to work. That is the key.

And it isn't just about reporting when you catch. Blagdon didn't get the nickname 'Blankdon' on here for nothing. Posting a report when you blank can be just as entertaining, often more so! Laughing

Actually Blagdon is fishing well this year. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
Having said that, there is nothing stopping the stockie bashers on here from creating their own equivalent of the Bristol Water thread based on their own venues. All it needs is a general agreement to post under a single thread (the Mods can help here) but of course people will need to post regularly if it is going to work. That is the key.

And it isn't just about reporting when you catch. Blagdon didn't get the nickname 'Blankdon' on here for nothing. Posting a report when you blank can be just as entertaining, often more so! Laughing

Well said Alan, a few more Bristol Water type threads and we'd have a very busy section Very Happy

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
g.atthenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i cant say anyone bothered about me catching or blanking at any fishery i fish as i cant see any interest about the place on fisheries here,....i should prob just hang out in the fly tying area as folks seem to like what i do in there,hell,... i even throw a pic of fish caught on the flies. Wink
Like Alan says,....just the state of the world we live in,unfortunately. Sad
g.atthenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some venues where i live,...but as i said no-one interesred. Confused

I could post pics all day,...but like i said,...no-one interested. Sad
ealing92

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where abouts is that g.atthenet?
Am assuming it's in the North somewhere as was reading your review on Craigmore. I grew up in NI and my dad's dad got me addicted to fly fishing down around Fermanagh & across the border. Unfortunately I was always very keen but the fish were not so Very Happy Very Happy !
g.atthenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ealing92 wrote:
Where abouts is that g.atthenet?
Am assuming it's in the North somewhere as was reading your review on Craigmore. I grew up in NI and my dad's dad got me addicted to fly fishing down around Fermanagh & across the border. Unfortunately I was always very keen but the fish were not so Very Happy Very Happy !

You will recognise Melvin and Erne then coming from Fermanagh Wink ,.....i grew up with a travelling Dad,...from Belfast to Londenderry,Donegal to Sligo,...and down the West Coast of Ireland........stuff dreams are made off to be honest,the people and places second to none. Wink
rickyrocket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pics there.

Had a friend from the US over last year and took him to that spot high up overlooking the Erne,was a dull day but the view is still amazing Cool

I see Tildarg fishery in the pics also.aint been up there myself in a while,might give Straid a throw on friday as i have a groupon voucher to use up!

Is one of the pics that fishery "Moorlodge" or whatever you call it?
Roobarb
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g.atthenet wrote:

I am Smile
I'd love to hear more about the likes of Melvin and Erne. Why don't you start a dairy, with that variety of water and scenery it could be a cracker.

Andy
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barley wrote:
g.atthenet wrote:

I am Smile
I'd love to hear more about the likes of Melvin and Erne. Why don't you start a dairy, with that variety of water and scenery it could be a cracker.

Andy

Me too. Great idea. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
g.atthenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
Barley wrote:
g.atthenet wrote:

I am Smile

Andy

Me too. Great idea. Very Happy

Alan

Hi chaps Wink...im sure my Dairy is all over this forum at the moment Rolling Eyes...i will say thankyou for your comments on my images on my own days out fishing,.....as far as Melvin and Lough Erne concerned,i have fished Erne,not for trout though,and not fished Melvin as yet,just visit for a break. Wink....i aint in no club,so no freebie invites to fish both Wink.....and i wont pay to fish both knowing its hit and miss,...not at the asking price to do so anyhow. Wink
I live withen driving distance of both Loughs,....and i cant find any reports on how the fishing is Rolling Eyes...but i do know people fish it for free. Wink....maybe i should join a club and go compo fishing,free invites to waters all over,but keep it under your hat. Wink...as they say. Rolling Eyes
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about Melvin G but The Erne is public. Included in the DCAL permit.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
g.atthenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fossil-fish wrote:
Don't know about Melvin G but The Erne is public. Included in the DCAL permit.

Sorry M,.....for trout fishing,or even salmon on the Loughs,we talking boats,hire?..cost?...guide?...cost?.....i dont own a boat on both Loughs,.....DCAL......do you get free boat and off you go?....im afraid the answer is no!!!.......i could take you to hot spot for trout on Lough Erne though. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: