The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

St. Michel Reservoir. France

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fisherman
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: St. Michel Reservoir. France Reply with quote

I am going over to Brittany for a few weeks very soon and was looking to fish the above. ( Lac du St Michel )

Anybody got any info on permits for fishing there, costs and the like.

Also what is the fishing ( Fly ) like in general for that area.

Many thanks.

Dave
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not fished the Lac du St Michel - believe Sam Davis guides on there.

You'll need to get a tourists/holiday fishing licence, depending on department. If you're fishing there I'd imagine you'll be in Finistere.

That licence (you can get day, week, or I think two week licences) will entitle you to fish all public waters. This will include a whole heap of river access and tonnes of lakes. Private waters are generally syndicated or on a day ticket basis - such as the Lac du S.M.

Details of relevant departments here:

Federation Nationale pour la Peche

From there you can find out what licence applies where you're staying and check out waters nearby.

River and canal fishing can be very good, as can lakes. All the coarse and game species we have over here plus Zander, black bass, Wels, some annoying sluglike bait thieving small catfish with painfully sharp spines on the lateral fins, and a few novelties. You'll have missed the main Shad runs by now I would think.
Estuary and sea fishing certainly holds potential if you're into your SWFF? Lots of decent bass reported by the Bretons, certainly good numbers of mackerel, mullet and pollack. Have heard tell of bonito (or was it albacore) in high summer from the Biscay coasts, yet to be confirmed.

If you want a guided day tap Sam Davis up - a decent chap who's done the groundwork so you don't have to (at least that's what I think guides do Smile ). Seems to take getting hooked in the face by a client with reasonably good humour too.

His website has a lot of useful information on board, and a french angling dictionary if I recall:

fishinista

Tight lines!
fisherman
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all that info Kev.

Certainly gives me a good starting base.

I shall let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Dave
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ever the best bet (if your French is up to it, which it always is with a bit of effort and entent cordiale) is to find a decent tackle shop where you're staying and spend some money, buy the permits, and pump them for detail on where to go for your preffered quarry.

Lots of French fishing forums out there too - start by googling the name of your chosen venue (on google.fr) and browse away.

Bon Chance.
fisherman
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know how I got on in France.

Sam is now living in America I think KZ, or at least not in France.
He was though very helpful via Email and fishing St Michel.

The water level was very high ( I think they have had the same problem with rain as us )

No matter what fly I had on the end of my line all I could get in contact with was Perch. Little buggers wer taking anything that hit the water, just couldn`t get through them to find any Trout.

But hey I got out fishing which was the idea. Maybe next time.

At least I now know where to get the needed permit for fishing St Michel Res.

Dave
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he? Should amend his website then.

Pleased you got out anyway Dave, choked to hear of the frustration with the little perch. I can empathise fully - had a day just like that last weekend. Could see trout on fry and could hook nothing but perch. Not even decent sized ones (at least that would be some consolation).
I haven't got that far west into Brittany lately. If ever you head to Ile et Vilain or Loire Atlantique and want some pointers give me a shout. I've blanked at all sorts of venues over there, and even had some success on occasion.
BElieve the two Chris's (mods) have some experience of carping around central Brittany too if that floats your boat.

Cheers for the feedback - as a point of reference - where do you get the permits for St. Michel- is there a lodge?
fisherman
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kev.

In the square of Huelgoat next to the pub there is a shop that sells fishing tackle and seems to be a hardware shop as well.

In there you can get a permit to fish De Luc St Michel. The cost for just the day was 10 euros, that was for the permit to fish plus the permit for the Res.

It was a permit to fish the res. plus a 'Carte Journaliere' . All for as I say 10 Euros. Damn good value I say.

Hope that helps you.

Dave
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'tis good value indeed! Which I suppose is some consolation for having a load of aperitif sized perch. I may have to plan a wee sojourn thataway next sumer, thanks for the info Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: