The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Tenkara
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alyn Fisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Tenkara Virgin Reply with quote

A work trip to South Wales gave me a chance to visit my brother, he is the reason I started fly fishing all those years ago. He has tried my Tenkara rod out before but not in the right place or conditions to see the benefits for himself. A small river flows 10mins form his front door, so with the Tenkara in my back pocket and flies in my coat we set off.

The river is about 15 – 20 feet across, the pool I decided to fish had a strong flow right through the centre with back eddy’s on the far bank. With tree all around and behind the only way to cast was a type of steeple cast stopping before the fly touched the surface so as to keep the leader out of the flow.
We started with a dry as a fish had risen a few times, the bow and arrow cast demonstrated the fly sitting in the back eddy, one very impressed brother! Unfortunately the fish did not agree. With the rod handed over with two weighted PTN's Gareth my brother took his first steps in Tenkara. He took a while to get he idea of lifting the rod to keep the leader free of the current, on the third cast as the nymphs made their way downstream a trout decided to christen this new Tenkara virgin.

As the rod bent over the smile on by brothers face grew, he hoped that I had not seen him go to pull in the line, first thing he said after landing the fish was “ I've got to get one of these”!

Making our way up stream casting to eddy’s that would be impossible for a normal fly rod resulted in another 2 fish in the net and 1 throwing the hook. This demo of Tenkara went better that could be imagined. I have learnt that if you are demonstrating Tenkara, try to make sure the water that you use will show off the benefits of the rod and technique. Sorry about the poor photos, I only had my Ipod with me.

Simon. Very Happy
Alyn Fisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Quick Fishing! Reply with quote

Having a Tenkara rod always set up in the car is to easy! Everybody should have one. Stopped off at the Alyn on the way home form work. The rod had already been left set up with two weighted nymphs after my trip to my brothers on Monday. A note worth making the EZ keepers that are sold to the UK by Chris at TenkaraBum are one of the best investments I have made to go with the Rod, for me a must have! After some rain at the beginning of the week the river looked a lot better, water clear and less mess on the bottom.
Started fishing a run below a small stone weir, fishing the nymphs up and across the current. A small Grayling, and I mean small just a bit bigger than the fly flew out when I went to cast! Just hooked in the scissors, fish are greedy! Another brown also took part in this party about 6in.
Moved downstream to another shallow run into fast water feeding a deep pool. On the third the tip indicator of the furled leader shot downstream with the bend in the rod following it, After a good fight a very nice size Brown trout came to hand, a quick few photos and then released.

Changed to a small dry to finish and managed 1 more trout in a fast run. In all I was only on the river fishing for about 30min, that included setting up and packing away, that's what Tenkara is all about.

Simon.

Last edited by Alyn Fisher on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon,

I'll be out tomorrow with mine Smile

That river has improved over the years.

Did you know that barbel and grayling have been caught in there !!!

I used to live up Pontypridd way and keep an eye on how the rivers are improving, but I'm much, much further west now.

Bill Smile
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

springwell wrote:
Did you know that barbel have been caught in there !!!

A barbel. That would be a real test of a Tenkara rod Bill. Can you imagine it, a fish with many, many times the power of a trout or grayling on a fixed line? My 1.5TC Avon rod with 6lb line has had a job on in those circumstances, particularly in a fast water on The Severn. Having said that I've heard that some anglers catch them using elasticated pole tactics on rivers so maybe it's do-able.

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a great day today with the Tenkara, even if I broke something, check it out in Fishing Diaries, "Strolling with springwell" its worth a read.

Bill Smile
Alyn Fisher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Low river Alyn Reply with quote

30th of July and the weather is HOT! The river is really, really low! Again we are very short on time this weekend, working away from home in London all week, all the jobs back up around the house. Sonia and I arrived at the river at 1130am, Sonia decided today to stick to normal 7ft 3 weight fishing dry fly upstream. Looking in the back of the car at her kit, Waders; Jacket; Boots. My side Tenkara rod, small fly box! I decided to ditch the waders today and fish in shorts and flip flops. Less than 1 minute out of the car and I was ready to fish, Sonia had only just unrolled her waders! As a good husband should do, I left her the keys and headed off to the river.
Each time I go the the river now with the Tenkara I try to take a new tied fly each time which I sort of invent just before trip. This time a weighted size 12 fly tied on a heavy Grub hook with a partridge hackle up front and grey squirrel at the rear. The weight is intended today as I will be targeting the deep faster water.

Working my way upstream the fish were very hard to contact! Pools that should produce were dead. Finally after a lot of searching a nice brown trout decided to help me out!

This was the only nibble of the short day for me. As you can see from the photos this is not the normal type of river for the Tenkara, trees everywhere! But I find that I spend less time caught in trees with the Tenkara because of the fixed line length, with a normal rod you tend to let out just a bit more line, before you know it your stuck in a tree, Been there?
Walked back to the car to find Sonia had only covered about 50 of river and had caught 9 trout all on a dry!!! One thing that I keep saying to her is to cover more water, She answers why move if the fish are there? Maybe we should all learn a lesson form her, Don't be in a rush to move on! Any way we left the river 1.5hrs after arriving. More fishing tales to come.

Simon.
mostyn
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Simon,

Seems like Sonia is showing you how it should be done! Love the photos (on both Forums) and enjoyed reading the reports! Bill (Springwell) is well in to the Tenkara style of fishing; and it looks like a lot of fun.

M
mrtrout
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reports and pics everyone, I quite fancy one of these in the boot of the car, you just never know do you?
S.
But I have lived the stuff of my dreams."
E.R. Hewitt

Hand made furled leaders. PM for details. £3 each, delivered.
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well worth a try Steven,

I've been at it about a month now and really enjoy it (even when I break a tip) taking wild brownies up to 2lb.

Bill Smile
Alyn Fisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Short video Tenkara on the Alyn Reply with quote

Have been lazy not making an effort to post for a while so this short film made last week may be of interest? Question is what do you do with the spare hand?

Simon
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken the plunge and purchased a 12' Iwana as well. Local coarse fish to start with I think!

Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it was only a matter of time until you took the plunge!

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered last Sunday (15th Jan) and delivered yesterday (19th Jan). All the way from America!

Full marks to Tenkara USA. Very Happy

springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I better whisper this to Rich.

The rods actually come from the UK distribution centre which covers Europe, its just down the road from you Very Happy .

Bill Smile
simmo0498
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so tempted to give this a bash, but I have so much tackle already I don't know if I can justify it Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: