Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

29kg Carp

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> UK
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petemosby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: 29kg Carp Reply with quote

3 days ago in Bulgaria local fishermen caught 29 kilos carp in the "Kardzhali" dam. This is big for a wild one. The fisherman's family say's that they will have food for 3 months ahead. And all this happening so close to the 6th of December.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 29kg Carp Reply with quote

petemosby wrote:
3 days ago in Bulgaria local fishermen caught 29 kilos carp in the "Kardzhali" dam. This is big for a wild one. The fisherman's family say's that they will have food for 3 months ahead. And all this happening so close to the 6th of December.

How do you cook your carp? Over here, as you may well know, its frowned on as most carp are owned by the fishery but I'm curious to know how you prepare it to stop it tasting like a plateful of mud.

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
petemosby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first I want to say that my father taught my mother how to cook carp. after that she improved herself and learned some more recipes. second of all. I know almost every secret that my mother knows for cooking carp. the most important thing about the carp is that mud taste you mention. i't can't be removed. the thing is that if the dam or the river is too much muddy the carp will smell too. In my country you can catch carp at a lot of places but most of them are carrying this smell. the only option is to replace this taste with something stronger. in my opinion the best way is to fill the carp with rice and walnuts. than you put the carp in the oven covered with lots of tomatoes and tomato juice. the best way to cook the carp for me is just to make some soup or to fry it but when frying you feel that muddy taste the most. and finally like every fish you can put more lemon(juice).

what do you do about that muddy taste?
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petemosby wrote:
what do you do about that muddy taste?

I've not eaten a carp yet as I've never caught one from a wild fishery where I'd be permitted to take it. I've caught many hundreds on fly and bait but they've all been returned alive.

However, there are farmed carp available in some supermarket outlets and one of these days I'll try one to see what I think of it.

So, I can't tell you what I do about the muddy taste of carp. As a precaution, on the occasions when I take a pike for the pot I've been advised to soak the fillets in milk for a few hours just to make sure that any potential muddy taste goes although the first three or four I ate (from a river) weren't soaked and tasted fine.

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
petemosby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never caught carp... I have to say that I haven't been fishing for 7 years. I'm almost 23 and I really miss it. I was a huge fan when youngerbut now I'm waiting for a bunch of free time to do it like the tradition says(1-2 weeks into the wild)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> UK All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: