The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

The most under rated fish on the fly
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Salt Water Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: The most under rated fish on the fly Reply with quote

It has to be the Barracuda. I don't understand why so many fly anglers ignore the Barracuda as a worthy fish to catch on fly gear. Many seem to think that you can't retrieve the fly fast enough to get the Barracuda to actually hit the fly despite them following it, but there are flies that can be left more or less static or twitched for Cudas.

If you happen to be holidaying in an area with Barracuda then have a go for them. You will be pleasantly surprised by the fight they give and they are acrobatic too.

Just watch your fingers Wink

Bones
JAT
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I' a big fan of cuda on the fly also love catching jacks as well both great scrappers!
ditchdangler
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is with Cudas is they they usually turn up unexpected?? and with out a wire tippet they don't hang around too long! yes Jacks are my fav' fish

Alan
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more, cudas are a great fish to target on the fly....Funny how there is a sort of stigma involved when it comes to fishing for them.

Striped bass are a revered fish as far as the fly fraternity are concerned, but their fighting qualities pale in to total insignificance compared to that of a cuda.
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn right. This is from last year in Belize. A 25lb Cuda on a 7 weight.

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Damn right. This is from last year in Belize. A 25lb Cuda on a 7 weight.

Granted Chris, even baby cudas like that do put up a bit of a fight, but proper 'uns fight even harder Wink Wink [
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, that's a stonking fish - where abouts was it caught? I think I've seen that pic before but don't recall the details?

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

That is my old fishing buddy Paul Wilkinson, who caught it from the flats on Alphonse in the Seychelles, back in 2005 if i remember rightly.

Came across it just lying in around 2ft of water, and a quick swap over to his 10wt (GT 12 wt was left on the beach as it was approaching low tide, and any GT's would have left the flats) adding a bit of wire, and a needle fish pattern proved absolutely hopeless, for the first 20 casts or so he had, were totally ignored by "Boris" who never even moved, then suddenly the fish absolutely enhaled his fly on his next cast. Just under an hour later, he managed to get it close enough for the guide to land it for him.

Sadly Paul suffered a severe stroke on the first day of another visit to Alphonse in Feb of 2008, and whilst he is recovering slowly, and i still see him every week, it looks like I have lost a great fishing buddy forever Crying or Very sad
Bones
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice fish that your buddy had Brian. If we had fish like that in the UK then I am sure there would be a lot fewer trout fisheries Rolling Eyes

Bones
Rich
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the black fella's right hand????!
Alun
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That black fella is Genty doncha know. Just a little too much sun and a little too much rum. His hand got better Laughing
JamesP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most under rated fish as well as the cuda has to be the mutton snapper! But i find them very hard to catch compared to a cuda.
ballthebuilder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off to Kos in June, I've heard there are Barracuda prevalent in the Med, also Leer Fish and Bass, is this true?? I'm hoping so!! If all else fails, I'll go for the Mullet.
What flies are you lads catching the Cuda's on??
Cheers Dave
Offshore
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I came back to fly fishing I went to Egypt on an all inclusive do to Abu Soma... Mark Warner. I packed the spin rod and caught schoolie barracuda and jacks each night off the marina wall. I regretted not having a fly rod... black and silver rapala CD9 did the biz all week!!

http://www.bug-bond.moonfruit.com
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballthebuilder wrote:
I'm off to Kos in June, I've heard there are Barracuda prevalent in the Med, also Leer Fish and Bass, is this true?? I'm hoping so!! If all else fails, I'll go for the Mullet.
What flies are you lads catching the Cuda's on??
Cheers Dave

Dave, unwittingly, you have already tied what has proved to be a real killer cuda fly, to the extent that I am not even bothering to take any other cuda pattern with me next week (Well I have about another 1000 for the Tarpon, trophy Bones and NON-permit and can't find anymore room in the case Wink )

You recently put up a photo of a sandeel pattern tied with either EZ Body or Flexi Cord, I can't remember which, and this is almost a dead ringer for the cuda fly that has been very successful for me and my pals over the past couple of years.

The only major difference is that rather than bulk out the cord with lots of material running through it, I just run a few bits of super hair and flash through the tubing, and then give it more colouration by way of marker pens.

Having tied your sandeel, you will need no further instruction on how to construct the fly if you take a look at the picture below......You might think however that the hook would be better off at the rear, and be looking to tie it on a tube, in order to do just that However there appears to be no major differential in hookability whether it is set at the front or rear of the hook. The major differential, because of the delicate nature of the EZ body, is that it gets ripped to pieces first hook up, whilst the front mounted hook often lasts for up to half a dozen hook ups.....Finally, the best way to describe how to fish this fly......Double Warp Speed + Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Salt Water Fly Fishing All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: