The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Mixed Bag

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Salt Water Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ballthebuilder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Mixed Bag Reply with quote

Tied a few more flies for your perusal. The top one was supposed to be a bog standard Sparse Clouser but I'd run out of dumbell eyes. I improvised buy using 3mm chain bead and to compensate for the lack of weight, I gelled some of Rich's 3mil eyes on the end and formed a pronounced dome head to make it swim inverted. I think it gives it a cool look.

I tied the Popovics Ultra Shrimp as practice for the fly swap (if it happens).

The Black Bubble Head Popper is for fishing those balmy moonlit evenings (if we ever get any). The body is made out of thin craft foam with a hole punched in it, then hot glued into a cone shape, rather than crease fly style. It has a hole from the mouth to the top, when it's stripped, water spurts and bubbles out of the top. I saw it on a commercial fly tying site.

Neptune
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Not bad on the second and third fly but can I suggest that when using eyes beneath the hook to invert the fly, use a shorter hook and put twice as much material on the top as the bottom (in fact you can leave out the under wing altogether)

Its the free flowing upper wing that inverts the hook, even more than the eyes under

To prove my point, try tying a substantial hair wing on the hook point side of the shank and nothing else, the vane produced will stop the hook point from presenting lowermost

Hope that makes sense

N

Whitbread Fremlins Courage - Pro Staff
ballthebuilder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does make sense and I will try it.
Cheers Dave
saltydog
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballthebuilder, That Clouser is COOL Smile
should work GREAT.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN
ballthebuilder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saltydog wrote:
ballthebuilder, That Clouser is COOL Smile
should work GREAT.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN

Thanks, yes it should, I like my Clouser's nice 'n sparse
Cheers Dave
saltydog
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to say I came back to the CLOUSER AGAIN today, I realy LIKE that one.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN
Mary
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tidy tying David, but I'd like to offer some constructive critism.

On both the clouser and the shrimp I can't help feeling you have over-powered the dressing by using too large a hook. Personally I would use no larger than a size 4 when tying a sparse clouser. I also wouldn't worry about the weight of the eyes either, but (as Kieran has suggested) placing the bias on the upper wing. Far more effective for inverting a fly.

I have to say I'm not a fan of poppers for our species of Bass, especially in the scenario you describe. I would rather use something like a Fag Ash Lil, Gurgler or ginked up snake fly to create a subtle wake. Fished on an intermediate sink-tip they dive in and out of the surface.
ballthebuilder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin
Being unemployed for the first time in my life, I can't afford to buy different density lines and tbh, where I fish I only need a floater. As regards hooks, I buy what I can afford off Ebay. The hook on the Clouser is a size 1/0 1970's Edgar Sealey stainless, I bought a hundred for 3 quid, so most of my flies are tied on them and also the Sakuma 410 like the one the shrimp is tied on. Also, take the UV gel, I liked the style and finish of gelled flies but couldn't afford to shell out for Tuffleye or Bug Bond, so I set about finding a product that gave me the same effect at a fraction of the price. By trawling the net and especially Ebay I found the gel used in the nail art industry and imo, it is every bit as good, with just as good a finish. This is how my SWFFing is at the moment, as cheap as possible. Having said that, I'd rather it be on the cheap than not at all. So with that in mind, I have to weight my flies according to the depth of water I am fishing and thats why when I tied the Clouser with the chain bead eyes, I added gel for extra weight, if you get my drift. As for the popper, I enjoy making the cone shaped popper bodies out of thin craft foam, it's more challenging than making a crease fly body. I also tie gurglers and fal's. I like popper fishing, it works for me, it's visual and exiting. I take on board your critisism but I'll have to carry on doing things my way for now.
Cheers Dave
John1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flies are excellent ball, each to their own mate. Very Happy
Neptune
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

I sympathise with the limited budget, hope circumstances alter soonest

You'd be surprised what you can press into service, material wise that can create quite a respectable fly

Domestic animals can provide dubbing, wifes wool/sewing box. £1 shop threads and varnishes, BQ bead chain. Sheep wool off barbed wire fences, road kill, q tips for tube flies, empty biros for hair stacking, packing foam, plastic bags, foil crisp packets, nylon carpet tufts for dubbing. Old woollen jumpers (again for the wool). Acrylic paints and cocktail sticks/dowels make 1000's of eyes.

Feathers from craft shops and foam - much cheaper if they dont have fishing written on them

Only, please don't use unsuitable hooks, they dont need to be stainless, carbon is fine and cheaper

I have loads of half used bucktails (I only use the top 2/3rd), you are welcome to

N

Whitbread Fremlins Courage - Pro Staff
ballthebuilder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I must say, what a great bunch anglers are.....When times are hard, it never ceases to amaze me how kind they can be. I've got most of the materials I need, thanks Neptune. I always try to use stainless as I find carbon steel stains the fly materials. I've got one or two irons in the fire as regards work, so hopefully I'll be back in gainfull employment soonish, fingers crossed. It's a bugg£r, been working since I was 15, self employed for the last 27 years with loads of work, then nothing. This country is well and truly bugg£red.
Cheers lads.
Dave
Offshore
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of a remedy for the only have a floating line is a touch of tungsten putty on the end of the fly line... just a touch mind - not a depth charge Very Happy

http://www.bug-bond.moonfruit.com
ballthebuilder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offshore wrote:
A bit of a remedy for the only have a floating line is a touch of tungsten putty on the end of the fly line... just a touch mind - not a depth charge Very Happy

Nice tip David, I'll bare it in mind.
Cheers Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Salt Water Fly Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: