The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Bewl Bridge Reservoir

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Bewl Bridge Reservoir Reply with quote

Was stuck at work this morning but managed to sneak down to Bewl for a quick hit... they had an "early" opening day for BBFC members and season ticket holders today, official opening day tomorrow.

Seemed to be fishing it's socks off, despite a brisk SW colouring up the banks between the lodge and canoe club. I thought I'd head down to Rosemary's, as I kind of like the quiet there...

Several boats drifting into the dam wall, most of them picking up a fish a drift. Wandered down the bank and met a chap leaving who'd had his limit in just over 2 hours, said all were close in and looking up.
I started with an alder nymph, a cormorant and a cruncher. All took fish. Switched to coachman, zulu , bibio. All took fish.
TBH I think anything would've caught, as long as it was twitched along with a fig8.
Used a floating line.

Fish were all in great nick bar one, which was one of those dark roe filled buggers that the older boys on the forum who fished before triploids dominated will remember.
8 fish limit, 19lbs +/- a coupla ounces. Best fish just over 3 1/4 lbs.

When I posted the return in at the lodge it sounded like the situation was the same around most of the ressie, so if you're going tomorrow I'd advise you to walk a bit and find some space rather than set up in front of the cafe and combat fish Wink
Sussexflyfisher
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished it this morning, first cast at 07:35, first fish at 07:35, on the first cast, and last fish at 09:15. I even had time for three cups of coffee in between fish! Fished down at Bramble Bay, the fish a very close in (as were the boats Evil or Very Mad ), wind not as strong as yesterday by all accounts, but it was almost one a cast, with interest on pretty much every cast. Damsel or black tadpole, on a glass line.

Total weight 17lb odd, best fish 2.4. Most in good nick, apart from two, one with no tail, the other minus a dorsal. If you’re going expecting C&R, you'll be out of luck, until the 1st April at least. Would have been nice if that was advertised on their website, or in the lodge, as I only found out from the bailiff this morning. I can understand the principal of not have C&R on opening day though, as you will inevitable get someone who will just sit on a pop all day. But the information would have been welcomed before hand, as I now have a fridge full of fish......

But apart from that..........a pleasant few hours.
leswilluk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished the bank along Bewl Straight today and also had a full bag all my neighbours also had full bags by mid day
rad
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished Yesterday and had a crap day, Only managed two fish and slipped them both back not knowing that there was no catch and release.
Was totaly my own fault, i didt think i would need the waders but ended up being a few feet short of the fish, Ill learn.

Sussexflyfisher we must have been fishing next to each other, I was at bramble about the same time, I was the onle having a bad day who left the waders in the car,I left at about 10ish, went back to the car and emptied my wellies.
Gillaroo
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
Rosemary to Goose Creek is stuffed with fish to the point where it was too easy.
How many takes do I not tighten into before the bl**dy pub opens at 12? One of the lads had his limit in 12 casts and had to take all of 3 casts to catch number 8.
Nice fish though.
Cheers
Gillaroo
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Hence fishing three bushy wets and leaving my normal monstrous opening day lures in the box!
Sure it'll change in a week or so, then an hour odd drive each way will doubtless be rewarded with more than an hours fishing once more (wonder how long till we're moaning about our first blank of the season?). Very Happy
Gillaroo
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevZim wrote:

Sure it'll change in a week or so

Doubt it Kev as I think it was stocked again this week!!!
See you on the bank soon.
Mike
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't knock it, guys. Very Happy

If it all gets a little too easy for you, try a trip to Chew or Blagdon. Laughing

Nice reports though. Keep 'em coming! Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Sussexflyfisher
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rad wrote:

Sussexflyfisher we must have been fishing next to each other, I was at bramble about the same time, I was the onle having a bad day who left the waders in the car,I left at about 10ish, went back to the car and emptied my wellies.

Nice to meet you Rad! Hope you have dried out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: