The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Chigborough
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keeno
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Defo great sport to be had at chiggers all year round, and you will have some great fun over there.

I live in Maldon and the sown ha nearly all gone though I would give the office at Chigboro a call as its may not have been warm enough to melt the ice on the lakes.

Hopefully see you over there soon, in need of a little fishing, have not got out since the little man arrived.

Hellbound defo have to sort out a mini social sometime soon.

Tight lines

Keeno
GRAZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Chigborough Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up. I'll give them a call later in the week to check.
hellbound
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when yon fancy going fishing again keeno , this time of year to cold for you ??

There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Keeno
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, this is my sort of weather. even managed to get a couple of rounds of golf in the last two weeks!!

defo want to get out once the lake un freezes. we will have to make a plan!!

Very Happy
GRAZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Chigborough Reply with quote

The message on their answer machine is stating that both Home and Rook are thawing out. As at today 1/3 of both of the lakes is unfrozen. Looking good for the weekend.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRAZ wrote:
The message on their answer machine is stating that both Home and Rook are thawing out. As at today 1/3 of both of the lakes is unfrozen. Looking good for the weekend.

As luck would have it, I'm staying down in Woodford this Sunday. I was talking to Chris yesterday about doing a spot of fishing so I might suggest we head over Chigborough way if that suits you. Unfortunately, I only have a minimum 8# in the Whistlekiller armoury with me at the moment and I'm not too sure what other crap I'm carrying in the car but there's definitely a reel, floating and intermediate lines and possibly some flies. All the other bits (like a net) I may have to cadge off somebody (if Chris can't make it, that'll be you Graham!!!!). I'll PM you with my mobile number so we can discuss further.

I also have my camera so stand by to be instantly famous (followed by the usual CFF habit of Photoshopping the results to make us all look a bit daft!) Very Happy

Anybody else up for this?

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
hellbound
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wk im up for this , let me no what ur sort of and i can help out , all we need now is a day and a time Smile

There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellbound wrote:
wk im up for this , let me no what ur sort of and i can help out , all we need now is a day and a time Smile

I'm (unusually) around this neck of the woods on Sunday 17th (see above). You name the time as I won't have been in the pub Saturday night! PM on it's way to you too with my details. Very Happy I'm pretty sure it'd only be a net, a bit of leader/tippet and maybe some flies I'd require but I suspect (apart from the net) I may have them with me. I'll check in the boot to see what I'm actually short of but will definitely make do with the 8'# Diamonsback as it's nice to cast.

starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum GRAZ,

I have only fished Chigs a couple of times and i like the place. The good thing about this time of year is that you can fish C&R on the main lake which is the nicer more mature lake imho.
Rich,
Take your tube as they allow it there.
I spoke to the lady who collects the money about tubing it and she replied that she can only remember one person fishing it from a tube before. She then told me that he got into trouble and had to be pulled out.
Mmm....on second thoughts maybe you have been before Rich..
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice there Mark but unfortunately I don't have my tube with me on this occasion so there's absolutely no chance of another catastrophic Whistlekiller incident for you to gloat about here for the next million years. Very Happy

I assume you're working Sunday? Otherwise why not pop along as well?

starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im afraid im working as i would have liked to go to this one. It looks like the rivers are going to be out for a while until this snow thaws out.
I haven't been out for a few weeks and im starting to go a little crazy.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starsky wrote:
im starting to go a little crazy.

So there you have it ladies and gentlemen. Please avoid the Bakerloo Line this weekend at all costs. Razz

BTW, was it you going southbound out of Willesden Junction at around 8am this morning? I was on a passing Overground to Olympia and could have sworn I saw the driver practising his snake roll in the cab. Very Happy

It's a shame you can't make it. One of these days mate.....one of these days!

starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha,ha...not guilty this time. I normally play with my snake at home..
We will definetly have to meet up sometime this year. I do fancy a bit of tubing at Ravensthorpe.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Wes (Hellbound), GRAZ (Graham) and me managed to get along today for a bit of a fish. By the time I arrived Graham was already fishing and had secured a rainbow for himself - I'll leave him to fill in the details on flies and method.

I took a few pictures with my new phone which seems a lot more capable than my old faithful (retired) Samsung D600!

The hut at the entrance to Home Lake:

The lodge:

I started off with a single lure on an intermediate but after a while throwing it into the wind from the road bank of Home Lake, we opted for a move round to the calmer shore where quite a few anglers were catching fish.

Wes arrived shortly after we'd moved and after the usual formalities of introductions he set about explaining the lake to us as he's fished it on a pretty regular basis. Towering over me and Graham (and neither of us are particularly short-arsed) he regailed us with tales of mass catches, fly types, how to bribe the bailff etc. etc.!!! Shock

Here are the chaps!

Moving back round to the shallower part of the lake I changed to a floating line and set up two buzzers, one of my gold headed red floss efforts on the point and one of Wes's black and orange ones on the dropper. Almost straight away I got a hit on a very slow retrieve to the point fly and landed a nice fully finned rainbow of 1lb 10oz, very well conditioned although it was understandably easily subdued by the 8# 10' Diamondback VSR (it's all I had with me!).

Wes caught one shortly afterwards fishing the bung at considerable range - it obviously helps to be 9ft tall to gain that valuable extra yardage! Twisted Evil

I caught him on camera removing something wriggly from the side of his fish:

It looked like some kind of leech to me although Wes wasn't so sure. Whatever it was, it showed that the fish were either on or fairly close to the bottom.

Meanwhile, Graham was going through his fly box with furious application. Again, I'll leave it to him to describe the various combinations used.

After a few more moves and me inevitably losing a couple of flies, as well as the entire leader up a tree, Graham and Wes sneaked off to one of the smaller lakes. I managed nothing further from Home Lake and eventually joined them for a fairly fruitless half hour or so by which time it was time for Graham to head off home. So, 1 fish each - not a catastrophe but I'm sure if we'd been in the right place at the right time we'd have all done a lot better.

Hoping to try and get a pike Wes and me headed for the River Chelmer which was (to put it mildly) a ****ing rage of a torrent. Opting for the parallel canal we set about trying to tempt old Esox from the depths using fast sinking lines and red/white DNA Bush Pigs.

Here are some of the floating houses we encountered:

Result? We couldn't buy a bite although the conditions weren't great as the canal was very coloured. We even tried a dangle in the river but the flies just flew off downstream making any kind of control impossible.

So, all in all, a mixed bag of a day although it was great to be out fishing again without the biting cold. In fact, the skies were blue and the sun eventually forced me to take off my latest silly hat! Very Happy

Just like to say thanks to Graham and Wes for being great company and the use of various implements - net, towel, priest, plastic bag, superglue, you name it, it was in the Hellbound tackle bag!

Will definitely be going again sometime soon.

Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done guys.very surprised you could fish,still frozen down here Shock .
I know someone who lives and works in the tackle shop in Maldon and he has suggested we try for bass in the river,not had a chance yet though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: