Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Moorland Fisheries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Moors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep a goodun tethered for you.
Now own and live at Moorland Fisheries.
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Keith Moors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again everyone. Firstly let me apologise for the long gap between newsletters. I won’t try and dodge the reason for the gap, the fishing has been very slow for the last four weeks and the lake has only produced five forties over this time. We have seen some cracking (and new) thirties so it hasn’t been all gloom and doom but the expected pre-winter eating binge has not occurred. In fact I believe that the reasons for the poor end to the season has been the continuing mild weather as well as the water levels being the highest that we have experienced in seven years. The carp appear to be continuing as they would during the late summer/early autumn when they just browse across the available food and move around “without a care in the world.” In fact even as I write this report the fish are still showing all around the lake and are very mob ile. I fished with Alan Brown for the final week and it is true to say that we tried everything that we could think of but even moving to a different swim every day simply moved the carp to a quieter area, and they had plenty of room to find such an area. Towards the end of previous seasons we have seen lower water levels and colder snaps which seem to concentrate the fish into the central areas and produce the typical end of season feeding frenzies. Still, every year is different and I guess that that is what makes this carp angling business interesting.

The real story of the final weeks revolves around two fish which have painted a picture of the potential of these carp. Both of the carp to which I refer are originals and were in the lake when I bought it and so were very likely to have been born here. They were both small fish back then as few of the original stock were even in their thirties and neither of these two stood out as even being good twenties.

The amazing thing is that Les, John and Paddy managed to catch these two fish last October and then catch them again this year and both fish have shown similar weight gains over the twelve months.

On the 15th October 2007 Les caught the “Half Linear” at 36.08 lb. The fish then went on to be one of our new forties in early October 2008 and completed Paddy’s week when he banked it, as his first ever forty and therefore a personal best, on 29th October 2008 at 43.02 lb. This showed a total weight gain of 6.10 lb twelve months. Well done Paddy.

An even more surprising capture was only brought to light when I went searching for previous pictures of a carp landed by John. It was a fish that I half recognised as having been caught as another new forty earlier in October but to say that I was in for a surprise is an understatement. I’m not sure what made me scan back over last years pictures but there on the screen was John holding exactly the same fish one year earlier. The fish in question is now known as “Chunky” and was first landed by John on 15th October 2007 at 38.12 lb. He then managed to catch it again on 25th October 2008 at 45.04 lb. Not quite as much of a weight gain but at 6.08 lb still a very good result. It actually matches John’s personal best so well done to him also.

For me probably the most frustrating thing of all is that we didn’t see at least one of the expected known fish which can normally be relied upon to make an appearance at this time of year. Who knows if “The Eighteen,” “Minty,” “Clover,” “The Unknown,” etc were all to be carrying similar weight gains then we could easily have seen several upper forties or even low fifties. It didn’t happen so we will just have to wait for next year.

In the meantime I have now already started a major winter feeding programme and I am hoping that my plans will help to maintain the carp’s general good condition throughout the winter and therefore be ready to go on again come the spring.

The overall picture from the season as a whole suggests that we now have a large quantity of mid thirties to low forties which are all growing rapidly enough to produce some fantastic results next spring. For some reason we seem to be going through a phase where a large group of established carp are all growing at similar rates and are coming through from the ranks of the thirties into good forties. We have seen 27 different forties banked this year and I will be astonished if we don’t see at least thirty forties (probably a lot more) and a new, home grown fifty early next year.

I also have the opportunity to purchase some more carp from a local vidange but I am in no rush and will only follow this up if the carp look very special.

Unfortunately we suffered a computer blip earlier this year which has erased my 2007 drain down stock details and some of the early newsletters so it is going to take me some time to try and calculate the detail of the big fish captures from this season but that is my next project and I will post up my results for the next newsletter.

I will keep you up to date with the winter progress each month and look forward to seeing some of you again next year
Keith Moors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEWSLETTER 10th January 2009

Hello again everyone. Hope you all had a superb Christmas and that the “credit crunch” isn’t going to bite too hard. I think that we all have to “tighten our belts” but I can’t believe that the euro will stand alone as the only currency not to be affected by this international financial crisis. Once the rest of Europe begins to feel the pinch then the euro must reduce in value against the pound and we should get back to a slightly more sensible exchange rate. I don’t see the heady days of 1.5 Euros to the pound but if we can get to somewhere around 1.2 it will make your holiday travel expenses much more bearable.

Right, I am not going to go down the discount prices route, nor am I going to change to pricing in Euros. My feeling is that we need to charge the rate that we need to be able to continue to provide the service which we have become known for as well as being able to invest in upgrading the fishery where possible. I also feel that to change to pricing in Euros would be tantamount to increasing our prices and that you, as English anglers, need to know exactly how much is coming out of your wallet. What we are going to do is to offer a travel package as an alternative way of getting here plus a “loyalty bonus” which should benefit all of us.

TRAVEL

Our traditional booking whereby you drive down here and we look after you will always remain the mainstay of our business and most of you, I am sure, will continue to use this method. However, I understand that there are some anglers who don’t want to drive down plus there are some groups of anglers who suffer major expenses in booking large vans and/or travelling in three cars in order to be able to carry all the necessary gear. In an attempt to improve this situation we are able to offer the hire of an air-conditioned mini-bus and trailer to transport up to 7 (8 at a squeeze but we may need to provide bivvies and bed chairs for a couple of the group) anglers from a pick up point in England to Moorlands and back the following weekend. The pick up point can be arranged to suit the most central or suitable address of one of the travelling anglers and the price structure is as follows.

Vehicle, trailer and driver hire for the week is £500.00 to be divided between the group.

The group will then also pay (en-route) for the fuel costs, ferry costs and toll charges.

As an example in order to completely explain what is involved I have calculated a fictional journey.

1. Vehicle arrives at pick up point having cost £25.00 in fuel. The group will need to pay £50.00 (obviously the vehicle has to return home also) plus the £500.00 hire charge.

2. Let’s say the return ferry cost is £120.00

3. Fuel costs for the return journey at about (pick up point to Moorlands and back) £200.00

4. Toll charges at about 50 Euros each way = £100.00

The total costs of this trip would amount to £970.00, so if there were 6 anglers it would amount to £162.00 each and for 8 anglers £122.00 each.

Some of you will be aware that some of the figures remain fairly constant even for 2 anglers in a car so a slightly lower fuel cost and maybe even ferry cost could still end up costing a pair of anglers over £225.00 each without being chauffeur driven. Something to think about as a way of saving costs maybe?

I would also add that this is available to groups that have already booked but is obviously subject to the vehicle being available for your planned week. (might be a reason to book early for 2010 ?)

LOYALTY

Now this is something entirely different. I have been racking my brain to try to find some way of repaying those of you who have stuck with us and continued to spend your hard earned wonder wallet filler to come and join the Moorland family. It would be folly to offer simple price reductions because our price is calculated around the costs of providing the service. However, the loyalty scheme should mean that we all benefit.

Starting from January 2009, for every time that you recommend us to another angler who books with us, you will receive £20.00 reduction from your next booking. In theory, you could get another 6 anglers to book with us and save yourself £120.00 from your next holiday with us. (I suppose in theory, if you found 20 anglers you could earn a freebie). The fact of the matter is that you benefit by the reduction and we get more customers, a simple win, win situation.

Obviously you will need to tell the anglers in question to inform us that they were recommended by “Fred Gruntfuttock” when they book so that we can make sure that we send you an email to confirm your discount. When you reply to the email to re-book it will generate the discount for you.

I truly hope that both of these suggestions help in some small way and wish you all the very best fishes for the New Year.

Keith
Keith Moors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEWSLETTER 30th AUGUST 2009
Hi Again everyone. We have just completed the first week following our holiday week and the fishing has been very interesting.
We started the week with a group of 6 anglers of varying experience and some of whom were determined to “do it their own way.” The tactics included baits that our carp were not aware of, spodding and spreading big beds of particles and all of these tactics were virtually counterproductive.
For me the most frustrating thing was to be able to see the carp feeding but not getting caught and try as I might I didn’t seem to be able to convince the anglers involved that long hairs, our bait and tightly baited patches using boilies would produce the goods. By Monday I had decided that the only way to prove my theories was to put my money where my mouth was and to get the rods out for a couple of days. I won’t go into details but by fishing from first light until midnight for two days produced 12 fish to 41.03 lb with 5 other thirty plus carp and also had the desired effect. The other anglers took my lead and swapped to similar tactics and all began to catch in numbers. Unfortunately, because of a changed hospital appointment, four of them were forced to leave on the Thursday morning, just as the fish began to hit the bank. Still the two that were left had a blinding end to the week and Andy did manage a 43.06 lb mirror on the Wednesday before he left.

The real story of the week goes to Adam Sheperdson who arrived with his wife Ally and young son Harvey for a ten day session. He moved into the first pontoon on the Thursday morning as Andrew left and immediately got amongst the big fish including a double hook up which saw a brace of fish in the nets at the same time weighing in at 41.06 lb common and 41.10 lb mirror. He has continued in that vein and I am hopeful that the full story will be worth writing next weekend.
Our year to date results now stand at:-
1086 fish banked of which 192 have been catfish and 890 carp.
The carp have included:-
424 thirties
85 forties (still only the one fifty as yet)
I would like to think that we are on target for 500 thirties and 100 forties for the season and I am monitoring the current growth rates and the bigger fish seem to be feeding very well and putting on about one pound per week. If the bait keeps going in and the fish keep feeding there are likely to be some new surprises before the end of the year.
Speak to you next week.
Keith
Keith Moors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEWSLETTER 12th SEPTEMBER 2009
Hi Again everyone. Well the fishing has continued a pace but we are now seeing the fish spreading around the lake a bit more which is good news for the anglers. We are still waiting for the rain to come but as long as the fish aren’t in any signs of stress and are feeding the way they seem to be at present then all is good.
I would like to congratulate all of the anglers who
were with us last week. Mick and Dale for their
new PB’s and Kev Bowerman for his successful
first week of his two week stint bagging 31 fish
including 6 forties. I was also pleased to see Len
and Justin fly down for a two day session and manage to bag a few carp to 39.14 lb over massive
beds of bait (14 Kg each in 2 days). It was also apparent after they had left that the carp
remained feeding over those beds for some time.
The story of the week goes to Jonno who quietly got on with watching and waiting for the fish
to let him know where they wanted to feed and then managed to plunder a few quality carp
including a personal best common at 43.04 lb and a personal best mirror at 46.05 lb. On top of
that the mirror was our 100th forty for the season so that’s the first target achieved.
The totals for this week are as follows:-
78 fish landed including 3 catfish.
75 carp made up of:-
12 doubles
17 low twenties
14 upper twenties including 4 of 29.00 lb plus 26 thirties including 3 of 39.00 lb plus
9 forties of;
40.04 lb, 42.04 lb, 42.13 lb, 43.00 lb, 43.04 lb, 43.04 lb, 44.06 lb, 44.08 lb, 46.05 lb.
I can’t wait to see the weight gains after this autumn’s drain down.
Keith
Keith Moors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I am going to keep the news of the last two week fairly brief as the fishing has
not been as good as we had hoped and I want to fit in as many photos as possible. There was
bound to be a dip in form at some stage and this
has now been crossed and we look forward to
some more exciting weeks before we start the
drain down.
Even though I have been aware that the big hauls
haven’t continued I am amazed that “poor” results
still include 11 forties over the last 14 days. I can’t
imagine what I would have been writing a few years ago with the same results, probably doing
cartwheels.
I have now carried out an exact count of thirties and forties for this season and those details
are below. I would also like to offer congratulations to some of the recent anglers who have
managed personal bests. Nigel managed to come
back for his second trip in an effort to beat his
son’s 39 from last year and managed two forties.
Lewis was keen to get into the thirties for the first
time and managed that with a pair of commons to
36.08 lb and this was after losing a much bigger
fish after a 55 minute battle. Lewis’ mate Jamie
also wanted to beat his Pb of 38 and ended the
week with 3 different forties and an appetite to return next spring for even more action. Last
but not least I want to say well done to Colin, Miles and Trevor who travelled from Northern
Ireland, across Wales, across England and down through France to visit us. A thirty hour plus journey which saw Colin with a mid forty and Trevor with his first forty at 43.10 lb. Well done
to all of you and we look forward to angling together again at some stage.
Now before I get onto the results let me just say a
massive thank you to Mike Edkins for sending me
a mint condition B.James and Sons, Richard
Walker, Mk IV built cane carp rod from the 1950’s.
I have been instructed that I must use it to try and
catch a forty and I honestly can’t wait. I will say
though, that I am hoping to catch a double on it
first. I did consider pairing it with a centre-pin but
now feel that I may put the carp at risk with that
so I am going to try to find a Mitchel 300 to make
the combination historically correct before trying
to get a small insight into just what Dick Walker
experienced on 13th September 1952 when he
landed Clarissa at 44.00 lb. For me a forty is still a
massive carp but just how big must it have
seemed 57 years ago? I will be keeping a diary of
the rod from the first moment that Mike and I
discussed its existence through my receiving it and on to any successes or failures that I may
experience in the future. Hopefully it may make interesting reading this winter. I’ll keep you
informed.
Right, year to date results:-
1370 fish landed including 207 catfish.
The 1163 carp have included 523 thirties and 112 forties
Be lucky.
Keith
Keith Moors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEWSLETTER 11th OCTOBER 2009
Well another 2 weeks have passed and yet more forties have hit the bank. I haven’t yet had a
chance to get out and fish with the MkIV but I
hope to soon and will give you the details as they
happen.
The last 2 weeks have seen several personal bests
and the totals for the lake this season are beyond
my wildest dreams.
It was pleasing to see Trevor with his new PB at
41.00 lb and then to see Graham land the Hoover
at 42.02 lb as a new PB and at her heaviest weight.
Incidentally that fish only just made forty plus this
season for the first time and looks to be destined to be another big fish of the future. On top
of these we also saw Martin with the Half Linear at 44.14 lb which is her biggest ever and puts
her in line to be yet another fifty for next year. We have monitored some of the quicker
growing fish and now have at least 16 ten-year old
carp which have already made forty plus. These
fish (plus several upper thirties) have still got
another 5 years of skeletal growth ahead of them
before they begin to just fatten out. On top of
these we have the existing forties and fifties but I
honestly believe that it will be these youngsters
which form the future of the lake and it will be
from one of these that the lake records will be
broken. I have thought for some time now that it is
much better for you as customers that we have forty plusses that get caught reasonably
regularly rather than the type of fish that are seen and rarely landed.

Right, year to date totals now stand at:-
1514 fish landed this season
208 catfish
1306 carp
571 thirties
120 forty plus.
A total of 691 carp of thirty pound or greater so far (53% of all the carp caught have been
30.00 lb plus) should easily see 700 plus by the end of the season with 750 a distinct
possibility.
Be lucky
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: