The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Any news from opening day at Bewl?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely comfortable with C&R for stocked trout. I don't rate my ability high enough to be certain that the fish would survive going back. If I bought an 8 fish ticket on a catch and kill venue and blew the limit quickly, I'd probably head off for a spot of C&R at a day ticket coarse venue. A bit of variety in one day and you'd still have to come up with the best tactics to keep catching. There are a lot of them around, they're fairly cheap, the fish in them like carp, roach and perch are far more hardy than trout and so better for C&R and you shouldn't have to travel far from the ressie to find one.

Does all that make sense? I've typed it three times now! Very Happy

I personally wouldn't buy a second 8 fish ticket on a catch and kill. The prospect of spending most of the subsequent evening cleaning possibly 16 fish is too much for me! Evil or Very Mad

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Rich
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips for Bewl this early in the season?

Other than ducking Starskys back cast?

Having recoverred from my broken back (nice) I am itching to get out there.

Rich
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich wrote:
Any tips for Bewl this early in the season?

Other than ducking Starskys back cast?

Having recoverred from my broken back (nice) I am itching to get out there.

Rich

Eish, nice one Rich! Pleased you're recovered...

Early on the bank fishing is great. Follow the wind for stockies and fish with it blowing into your face... or fish the usual hotspots for residents.

Fish are usually fairly high in the water (unlikely to be more than ten or twelve feet) and the normal flies work (cat's whisker and anything black and green are the favourite lures, buzzers are still pretty small at this end of the season and tend to be dark brown to black - so DB's and hare's ears on your nymph rig - keep 'em skinny Wink ).
Rich
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks, will give that a go...

Recovery really well luckily, maybe my signature should be

'don't ride MotorX'
Gillaroo
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have read this with interest regarding C+R at Bewl and the current situation (if you follow the letter of the law) is that it is being allowed for international competitions only. However, it has been going on for as long as I have fished Bewl and the rangers are aware of bass bags with holes in the bottom etc etc. So far as BBFC members are concerned it is a 50:50 split for and against and until this changes then I do not think it will be implemented. One of the reasons people are for it is for comp practices and many of those against fear it becoming too difficult which it can become for your average day ticket holder after a lot of pressure. I know people that have been banned for taking more than their quota but I don't think any Bewl regular has been banned for 'catching' more than their quota if you get the picture. Personally I have never had a limit at Bewl and until I do I'm happy to keep it as it is but when I hit that magic 8 I'll want C+R!
Cheers
Gillaroo
PS It is fishing it's nuts off at the moment!
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I popped out for a last minute quick hit last Thursday... heavy swell, white horses... two snapped rods, drogue snagged and had to be cut off as we were shipping so much water...
Two fish each.
Laughing
Reckon they cost about £60 a piece!

First fish was grown on and in excellent sleek shape. Taken about 8 - 10' drifting past Ferry point on a small peacock herl cormorant.

Other three were from the bank near the sailing club, one grown on, one blue and one stockie.
All on small black and green nymphs.

Conditions awful, but it was better than spending the afternoon at work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: