The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Unusual Catch

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtmodeler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Unusual Catch Reply with quote

Fly fishing is something that I always wanted to learn, and this year I vowed to figure it out ( at least the basics ). I spent some time reading and even watched a video. After a couple of hours sitting in the recliner learning to tie the required knots, I took my 9' 6wt out to the driveway to practice. And practice I did! I find that I am casting fairly accurately at about 35 feet. Living in Southern Vermont, our Trout season will not open until April 11th, so I have continued to hit the driveway with great zeal. The other day, after tying on a small piece of yarn to the end of the leader, I started once again to pick spots to aim for and happily casted into the dirt. All the blissful casts and false casts soon attracted one of the many free range chickens we have around the farm. The little piece of red yarn was too much for one of the curious birds, and after landing my line not more then a foot from a RhodeIsland Red, the bug deprived bird took the bait. Much to my surprise, I found myself in a tug-o-war. It turns out that a hungry chicken isn't that willing to let go of we she believed to be good food. If this isn't a good enough reason for the season to open soon (16 days but who's counting) I don't know what is
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Hope to read more of your posts and find out more about fishing in your part of the world Smile

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexH fly fishes for his Cat.....am sure I have a video of it somewhere Very Happy
Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum VT
I hope we get more post like that as it brightened my morning with the wind and rain lashing the window Very Happy
ditchdangler
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar problems with Ducks and Little Terns but never a chicken, I bet it scrapped well Laughing

Welcome to the forum and look forward to reading more of your exploits, what next battling turkey's Surprised

Alan
AlexH
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeh wrote:
AlexH fly fishes for his Cat.....am sure I have a video of it somewhere Very Happy

Drunken cat fishing. could there BE any more fun... Wink Wink Wink
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexH wrote:
mikeh wrote:

Drunken cat fishing. could there BE any more fun... Wink Wink Wink

Not after a day of Bateau driving, clay pidgeon shooting, sea fishing, fly fishing, BBQ'ing and drinking, no Wink
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VT,

Welcome to the forum from me as well, I lifted this off a Jamie Oliver (British Television Chef) article, hope it helps with your Rhode Island Red:

"Roast chicken with lemon and rosemary roast potatoes

Serves 4

Roast chicken remains one of our favourite dishes at home. I recently discovered a way to make the chicken taste even better, by putting a lemon in with my potatoes when I was parboiling them. It smelt fantastic and flavoured the potatoes. Then when I was draining them I decided to stab the lemon, which hissed out juice and steam, and quickly jammed it inside the chicken! The benefits of the hot steaming lemon going into the chicken are very obvious as the meat tastes amazing, and the chicken cooks slightly quicker because of it.

Rub the chicken inside and out with a generous amount of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Do this in the morning if possible, then cover the chicken and leave in the fridge until you're ready to start cooking it for lunch or dinner. By doing this, you'll make the meat really tasty when cooked. Preheat your oven to 190C/375F/gas 5. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Cut the potatoes into golf-ball-sized pieces, put them into the water with the whole lemon and the garlic cloves, and cook for 12 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for 1 minute (this will give you crispier potatoes), then remove the lemon and garlic. Toss the potatoes in the pan while still hot so their outsides get chuffed up and fluffy this will make them lovely and crispy when they roast.

While the lemon is still hot, carefully stab it about 10 times. Take the chicken out of the fridge, pat it with kitchen paper and rub it all over with olive oil. Push the garlic cloves, the whole lemon and the thyme into the cavity, then put the chicken into a roasting tray and cook in the preheated oven for around 45 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate. Some lovely fat should have cooked out of it into the roasting tray, so toss the potatoes into this with the rosemary leaves. Shake the tray around, then make a gap in the centre of the potatoes and put the chicken back in. If using the bacon, lay the rashers over the chicken breast and cook for a further 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and the potatoes are nice and golden. (You can tell the chicken is cooked when the thigh meat pulls easily away from the bone and the juices run clear.)

I like to remove the bacon from the chicken and crumble it up over the potatoes. Then I remove the lemon and garlic from inside the chicken, squeeze all the garlic flesh out of the skin, mush it up and smear it all over the chicken, discard the lemon and rosemary and carve the chicken at the table. Heaven!"

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook

Last edited by Whistlekiller on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex do you use one of the pike mouse patterns. Very Happy
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invicta wrote:
Alex do you use one of the pike mouse patterns. Very Happy

No his cat is that stupid it chases the end of his line Rolling Eyes
chobson
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome VT, yep i've had the local cats ambush my line while practicing.

PS: practice on grass, dirt, concrete etc could damage your line.

http://www.anglingtrust.net/
vtmodeler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the warm welcome! I am impatiently waiting opening day, and with a sunny 60 degree day ahead of me, it will be all that harder. The flip side is that the rivers and streams are running high and fast, and the flat water is still covered with ice.....so I wait
chobson
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice tractor dude...

http://www.anglingtrust.net/
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: