Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Venue Review - Bewl Water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Venue Review - Bewl Water. Reply with quote

Bewl Water is a large reservoir of 770 acres currently run by Southern Water and is situated at Lamberhurst in Kent, it is stocked very regularly with rainbows and occasionally a few browns too.

Fishing is from the bank or from their fleet of boats all equipped with petrol outboards. The bank fishing can be superb in the early season and the back end, although I would suggest that for the most consistent sport for the bulk of the season a boat would be a better prospect.

When bank fishing you will often see anglers wading out to fish but this is not essential, I seldom bother with waders myself as there is deep water quite close in on most parts of the reservoir. All the usual methods seem to work here from the bank with buzzer fishing being particularly popular with the regulars, teams of three with long leaders being very effective, lures also work very well of course with the cormorant being a local favourite and the cats whiskers being very good too, a method I have used to great effect in recent seasons is an intermediate line with a cat booby on the point and two cormorants on droppers above, the fish are often in the upper water layers.
Good areas for bank fishing are seemingly governed by the distance from the car park, there are several dotted around Bewl, and include 7lb Creek, Bramble Point, the area on the lodge bank by the yacht club down to canoe club corner and at the top end at Rosemary Lane, there are other good bank fishing areas of course (there is 13 miles of bank here) but these seem to be the most popular. There is also a ferry service that will take you over to Ferry Point and that can be quite good too.

The best of Bewl though in my opinion is to be had from the boats. It would be hard to suggest good areas as there are so many, but my starting point of late has been anywhere along the lodge bank and in the area known as Chingley Wood, other top areas are the mouth of 7lb creek, Dunsters Bay, Rosemary Lane, the cages, along the dam and many more. I usually fish on the drift and it can be superb fishing, occasionally we might anchor up in a quiet area for a change providing no other boats are drifting there of course. The methods mentioned previously all work from the boats of course, personally I prefer to fish with a floating line and a team of buzzers or the previously mentioned deadly intermediate line with the cat booby and cormorant combination. I do occasionally fish with a Di7 line and boobys if the fish are down a bit further during bright sunshine etc and as other venues this can work very well. A favourite method of mine at Bewl when the fish are right on top or rising is the washing line with a booby on the point and a buzzer and a Diawl Bach on the droppers, let it swing round on the wind if possible and if no takes are forth coming strip it in fast and watch the trout come for the booby as it skates across the top, great fun and very exciting.

There are lots of coarse fish in Bewl and it's not unusual to get pike and perch on the fly, I have had roach too and seen carp and tench caught on the fly there. I have in the past caught the pike when the trout fishing has been either too easy or a bit dire, I was just trout fishing with a bigger fly than normal and a pike took it Wink

The only thing in my opinion that lets the fishery down a bit is the lodge, just a few basic tackle items, although you can of course get the essentials if you had to, leader material, flies etc they do have a bit of tackle available but not much, but this is a minor criticism and obviously does not reflect on the quality of the fishing.

I would give Bewl Water a rating of 9/10

Panoramic View

Bewl Map

Prices for 2008 are,

8 fish day ticket 20.00
4 fish evening ticket from 3pm 15.00
2 fish ticket 13.00

2 man motor boat 25.00
1 man motor boat 20.00
2 man evening motor boat from 3pm 20.00
1 man evening motor boat from 3pm 15.00

Last edited by ChrisNicholls on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Good post mate.

Am i right in thinking that C&R won't be introduced yet again at Bewl for the forthcoming season?

Mark
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly apparently not, what I was told was part of the management want it and part don't.

I was also told they have been advised by other large waters not to do it as it can at times make the fishing too difficult as eventually the lake gets full of fish that have seen it all. Not sure if this is true of course.

I think they should offer a compromise solution with a ticket structure that has the normal 8 fish ticket or an option to kill the first 3 or 4 and then catch and release for the same price, that way there would still be a turnover of fish in the lake.
starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame.

I think keep a few then C&R is an excellent solution.

On the(very)rare occasions i have bagged up whilst fishing from the bank at Bewl the long walk back carrying all those fish is something i won't forget.

I will still give it a go when it opens though Smile

Mark
ghost

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the current situation here guy's ?
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C&R is currently only allowed in competitions (as a trial).

By all accounts it fished fairly well on opening day (see catch reports section)

Cheers,
Chris

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: